onecare circle issue RRS feed

• Question

• im really ticked off at microsoft these guys really cant get a thing right with their software. numerous times onecare has stopped working on my computer and i could not get it to work again unless i reinstalled windows. So now when i try to register my account with them through the finish setup i get a  message saying i have too many computers registered that if i want to register this computer i need to log into my onecare circle!. there is no way to log into your onecare circle cept through the CD which when finishing setup tells me i have too many computers!! so i call them and they switch me from retard to retard asking the same questions over and over!! when all they really need to know is my product key, my name, some personal info, and to erase the other computers off my onecare circle but they wont do this!!!  well to *** with microsoft if there idea of service is to give their clients the run around then im taking my business elsewhere. its no wonder people leave microsoft for Apple these guys care less about quality of care and more about the money!!!

Monday, October 20, 2008 9:44 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry to read of the problems you have encountered with OneCare and the support experience.

I moved your post to the Multi-PC topic folder, since you specifically mentioned the Circle.

If you reinstalled or installed OneCare and activated with the same live ID many times, you will encounter this problem. The solution is to make one of the PCs that you already have OneCare activated on into a Hub PC via the Manage Your OneCare Circle link. You would then remove all entries for PCs that are "ghost" entries or entries for computers where OneCare is no longer running on. For you to encounter the problem, you would have had to install and activate OneCare about 2 dozen times with the same LiveID without ever using the Circle functionality to manage the list of activated PCs.

Note also that the CD is simply an installer and you are connected to the Internet for install and activation. If you receive the too many computers message when signing in with your subscription LiveID then your choices are to do the above, if possible, or contact support if you have no other PCs running OneCare, which you already did.

I can't comment on the support process, other than to mention that trying to troubleshoot the problem as being due to another reason is reasonable and not worthy of your rant. 

What I would like to know is:

1. Do you have OneCare running on any other computers?

2. What is the status of the support case? If you provide the case ID I can have it investigated.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 2:17 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry to read of the problems you have encountered with OneCare and the support experience.

I moved your post to the Multi-PC topic folder, since you specifically mentioned the Circle.

If you reinstalled or installed OneCare and activated with the same live ID many times, you will encounter this problem. The solution is to make one of the PCs that you already have OneCare activated on into a Hub PC via the Manage Your OneCare Circle link. You would then remove all entries for PCs that are "ghost" entries or entries for computers where OneCare is no longer running on. For you to encounter the problem, you would have had to install and activate OneCare about 2 dozen times with the same LiveID without ever using the Circle functionality to manage the list of activated PCs.

Note also that the CD is simply an installer and you are connected to the Internet for install and activation. If you receive the too many computers message when signing in with your subscription LiveID then your choices are to do the above, if possible, or contact support if you have no other PCs running OneCare, which you already did.

I can't comment on the support process, other than to mention that trying to troubleshoot the problem as being due to another reason is reasonable and not worthy of your rant. 

What I would like to know is:

1. Do you have OneCare running on any other computers?

2. What is the status of the support case? If you provide the case ID I can have it investigated.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 2:17 PM
  • this is the only computer that i have onecare on i do not have it on any other computer the problem ticket that i have is # 1060762073 but i called more than once on this matter and each time there was someone who couldnt even understand english good enough to comprehend what i was telling them. I doubt that you will resolve this issue for me. ive seen enough of the care that microsoft shows on the surface!!!

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:08 PM
  • I can only promise that I'll have someone look into the case. I don't work for Microsoft or support.

If OneCare was only ever on this PC, how many times has it been re-installed?

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 6:18 PM
  • i lost count !! onecare would stop working by not loading on boot, id try to fix it with tool but no luck so id try to reinstall onecare with no luck either because when the OS would load up the same problem would happen. onecare wouldnt start. so it got to the point that almost every 2-3 weeks id have to reinsral windows download updates then reinstall onecare. the support for this product is minimal you have to register with windows live but when you go to your windows live account there in no way to access your onecare circle. why do i have to register with windows live if it doesnt give me access to my own account with onecare?? when i call support and give them all the info needed with my account and ask them to remove the other computers on my circle i keep getting transferred to someone else ( who hardly speaks english) then i have to reiterate everything i just told the last guy (who hardly speaks english) I am really thinking of buying a mac computer!!!

Monday, October 20, 2008 6:46 PM
  • I received a reply to my request for an investigation into your case and the ID you provided isn't found. No matter, though, as they also confirmed that support cannot remove PCs from the subscription. I have to wonder why there isn't a web based management tool for subscribers to use to manage the subscription in the event that there is no hub PC....

Anyway, I can help you.

Please email me at sboots@mvps.org and paste this link in the message body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4023975&SiteID=2

In the subject line make sure you include at least "OneCare" to get past my spam filtering.

I'm going off-line for a bit, but will answer you email as soon as I see it.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 7:13 PM
  • you answered everything in this letter there is no way to help me that you can do!!! if the pcs cannot be removed from the circle there is no workaround. I think i should be compensated for the inability to use the services that i cannot even use Microsoft= headaches so let me put my cd key up here for all to see since i cannot use this service maybe someone can!!! i no longer care about onecare and the lack of support lets see how much they care about me posting a legit cd key and login name /password!! [deleted] good luck peeps my windows live id is my email account [deleted] this is the password [deleted] have fun!!!!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:14 AM
  • I can help you if you decide to email me.

-steve

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Furthermore, posting your key, LiveID and password was really not a good thing. I've deleted them all. The key is useless as it has already been used, but your LiveID and password was not useless to someone wishing to gain access to your account information. I suggest changing the password immediately.

-steve

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:37 PM
  •  Jesus Christ wrote:
    you answered everything in this letter there is no way to help me that you can do!!! if the pcs cannot be removed from the circle there is no workaround. I think i should be compensated for the inability to use the services that i cannot even use Microsoft= headaches so let me put my cd key up here for all to see since i cannot use this service maybe someone can!!! i no longer care about onecare and the lack of support lets see how much they care about me posting a legit cd key and login name /password!! [deleted] good luck peeps my windows live id is my email account [deleted] this is the password [deleted] have fun!!!!

It is now 22 hours since my 2nd offer to provide a resolution if you email me and I have not received an email from you.

-steve

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:27 PM
  • Hi, My One Care is nearly a year old and up for renewal. I haven't had any problems other than the fact that I have 4 computers in my house. Can you still only have 3 in a circle or is this option improved since last year/?
    Many thanks
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 6:05 PM
  • JayJay67 said:

Hi, My One Care is nearly a year old and up for renewal. I haven't had any problems other than the fact that I have 4 computers in my house. Can you still only have 3 in a circle or is this option improved since last year/?
    Many thanks

It is still only 3 PCs per subscription in a Circle and I don't expect that to change since OneCare will no longer be sold some time late in 2009. Subscriptions will be fully supported through the end of their term of the end of 2010, whichever comes first.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 2, 2009 2:28 AM