none
[http://moneycentral.msn.com] MSN Money Portfolio Manager

Question

• I'm using Microsoft money Portfolio Manager and I am only getting a Realized Gain In one stock. Sandridge Mississippian Trust II. What math you are using to arrive at this? And why is that the only stock that shows a realized Gain?

I have asked this question through Micresoft money Portfolio Manager a week ago and have received no answer.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:05 PM

All replies

• If you are using Microsoft Money, it will say "Microsoft Money" in the title bar, or when you click Help-> "About Microsoft Money"?  The reason I bring this up is that you say you "asked this question through Micresoft money Portfolio Manager a week ago". I don't know what that would mean for a user of Microsoft Money. Microsoft Money is not accessed via Internet Explorer. Microsoft Money is different from the MSN Money Portfolio Manager which is at http://moneycentral.msn.com/stock_portfolio.

If you are actually using Microsoft Money, the Realized Gains  column represents profits from a security you already sold. So only securities where you have sold some shares would have a value. Whether all of the shares you have sold will be shown will depend on the
    Portfolio->ChangePortfolioView->ShowClosedPositions setting. 

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:53 PM
  • No I am using MSN Money Portfolio Manager. I am only getting a Realized Gain In two stocks. Sandridge Mississippian Trust II and BP Pruhoe Bay Royalty Trust . What math you are using to arrive at this? And why are they the only stocks that show a realized Gain?

I have asked this question through MSN Money Portfolio Manager a week ago and have received no answer.

John

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:41 PM
  • I suspected that. I have adjusted the title on the thread. I am not currently using MSN Money, but I have some ideas for you.

I would expect Realized Gain to represents profits from a security you already sold. So only securities where you have sold some shares would have a a Realized Gain value. I expect this number to be the algebraic (signed) sum of [what you received when you sold shares]-[the basis of those shares]. For shares you have bought but not sold any of, I expect that value to be blank or zero. Thus, I expect that either
    1. Sandridge Mississippian Trust II and BP Pruhoe Bay Royalty Trust  are the only shares that you sold any of that MSN Money knows about.
    2. Sandridge Mississippian Trust II and BP Pruhoe Bay Royalty Trust  are the only shares that you sold some of, but you still hold shares in those two. If this is the case, look for a setting that lets you see closed positions (sold shares).

In Microsoft Money, which is probably similar in this regard, I would expect this particular value to not include dividends in its calculation.  Realized Gain would not be affected by the current quote price of the security.

Does this match up with what you see, and if so, is #1 or #2 the better description?  If not, how does what you see differ from that description?

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:04 PM