none
Questions about getting MCSE on 2003 at this time RRS feed

• Question

• I've signed up for some night school courses to get a better degree, and some of the classes have provided complimentary "Lab Sim" CD & DVDs for reinforcing various skills. They are also exam prep guides for the 2003 MCSA & MCSE exams.

I got my MCSA in 2006, can I still use the tests that overlap with MCSE to try to test for the remaining exams for MCSE now, in 2010 or 2011? Is it worth it to add to my resume considering that Server 2008 has been out for 2 years? I'm having a hard time getting a job, and have only had temp jobs for a while, so anything that might enhance my resume without spending too much money I'm willing to do.

Taking these tests at $150 a pop certainly qualifies as spending a bit of money, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. If the 2006 tests don't count, as well as my equally old A+ & Network+ exams, then it's definitely not worth it. I have to borrow the money for the tests in addition to my student loans.

I'm not even sure if it's still $150, that was 4 years ago when I was getting a discount as a student at Harper College. I haven't done the research on exam costs as I haven't figured out if I'm going to take them yet.

Monday, November 8, 2010 11:50 AM

Answers

• You can still use the MCSA passed MCP exams for the MCSE qualification as long as the exams you passed are on here as they do not expire but once an exam is retired it may be removed from the certification path.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2

To be honest though I would air on the edge of caution getting qualified in an older technology. You would be better off aiming to update skills to server 2008 via the MCTS and MCITP tracks remembering that skills learnt in the Server 2008 exams are still transferrable and usable in a Server 2003 enviroment.

It may be worth looking around at what funding is available from your local goverment as some run not widely publicised schemes to either assist or pay for training.

The cost in the USA of an individual exam via Prometric is currently at $125 so to get the least expensive MCITP (MCITP: Server Administrator
    ) on Server 2008 you would be looknig at $375 for the 3 exams for this but as soon as you pass the first exam towards it you would be MCTS.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

Monday, November 8, 2010 2:59 PM