Can't restore PC backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore my computer from a backup.  Everytime I try it finds the server and asks me for the password.  It gives me a choice of what backup to choose and begins the process of restoring.  Then it tells me that "A network error has occured".  I reboot the computer and let windows startup.  I then get warning that the "backup server is not running" and have to restart the Home Server.

I have tried a few things to get this to work:

* I have tried restoring through a router and with a direct connection and each time it was the same result. (The connection was always wired)
    * I have tried both the newest version of WHS restore from the Microsoft website and from the software folder on the network.  
    * I have run the backup repair service and it claims it was successfully repaired.  It said it would take a few hours to do but did it pretty quickly. 
    * I have tried to view files from the console but it keeps saying that it can't mount it.
    * I have chosen many restore dates including automatic and Manual backups.  

I am very close at this point to reinstalling WHS but I am looking for other possibilites.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:43 PM

All replies

• I am trying to restore my computer from a backup.  Everytime I try it finds the server and asks me for the password.  It gives me a choice of what backup to choose and begins the process of restoring.  Then it tells me that "A network error has occured".  I reboot the computer and let windows startup.  I then get warning that the "backup server is not running" and have to restart the Home Server.

I have tried a few things to get this to work:

* I have tried restoring through a router and with a direct connection and each time it was the same result. (The connection was always wired)
    * I have tried both the newest version of WHS restore from the Microsoft website and from the software folder on the network.  
    * I have run the backup repair service and it claims it was successfully repaired.  It said it would take a few hours to do but did it pretty quickly. 
    * I have tried to view files from the console but it keeps saying that it can't mount it.
    * I have chosen many restore dates including automatic and Manual backups.  

I am very close at this point to reinstalling WHS but I am looking for other possibilites.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

To clarify:  In addition to a Bare Metal Restore (where you boot from the Restore CD), have you tried doing a Single File Restore (through the Console) from a client?  If so, does it fail at some point?  If so, what is the percentage at when it fails?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on all of the drives in the server?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:28 AM
  • It seems to fail at 81% on my vista machine.  On my Windows 7 machine it fails at 81% but before it does it asks me if I want to format the Z drive.  Out of fear I choose not too.  

I did run chkdsk /r on all the drives now and still have the same issues.  
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:59 AM
  • You could still attempt to restore to a disk attached to another client using clientrestorewizard.exe, as described in this FAQ.
    Choosing not to formatting was right. The just loading drivers for the virtual drive are triggering the normal mechanics of Windows, while the drive has not been finished to load.
    Check also the event log of the server for related error messages. Maybe it helps to run chkdsk on all drives of the server (although if the backup database is broken, it seems to be difficult to gain access to data in it successfully).
    Good luck
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:40 AM
  • Sadly this appears to be a not uncommon scenario, and I believe that the two difficulties (unknown network error when attempting bare metal restore, can't mount backup error at 81% when trying to open a backup) are related -- probably sharing some root cause.

There are a number of cases raised on Connect (including one for me). The proposed solution seems to be installation of the PP3 beta -- but I have not noted where this has fixed the issue for anyone. That is, if you have suffered this fate, there does not currently seem to be any way to use your backups to restore a PC. This is a shame, as it pretty much renders WHS useless for many customers. Worse than that, customers have not known that their backups are inaccessible until the backups are needed (because the system reports that backups have been successful) -- by which time it's all too late.

Good luck. Keep posting if you find a solution or workaround.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Your reply saddens me.  I'm going to give it until Friday to find a solution.  Otherwise I am going to do another server reinstall.  If it is like the ones I have done in the past then I may be able to restore the backups.  These reinstalls make me nervous because currently the data stored on the drives is untouched.  I would be really choked if for some reason I lost the data on the drives.  
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:33 AM
  • I would gladly undertake reinstallation of my server software if it would render the backups recoverable. Please continue to post with details as to whether this approach proved to be successful.

With thanks.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:01 PM
  • I did a server reinstallation this past week which was a nightmare.  I might post about it once all the issues have been resolved.  Unfortunately this did not resolve the issues with the backup.  As a matter of fact I have sadly lost all the backups as a result.  After reinstallation it asked me to repair the Backup database.  When I did it just deleted all backups I had.  I just hope that any new backups that it makes from here on it will be salvageable again.  
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:20 PM
  • I am having similar problems with our home server, which only started after I made a different but faster machine the home server after getting a new XPS.
    I have run back ups of all our machines but can't restore from the server as the Restore CD can't find the network card drivers. I have all the up to date drivers from Dell and Intel for the card and a copy of the drivers that are included in a back up on a flash drive but the connector software won't load the right drivers it say no drivers can be found.
    Everything used to work fine on the old server machine but since changing and re-installing on the old fast dell the problems have started. Both my main machines are dual boot the XPS is XP pro/Vista home premium and the Inspiron desktop is Vista Ultimate/Win 7 Ultimate RC1.
    I have just installed Norton Save and Restore on the XPS, (as I can't restore from WHS) as its my home recording studio machine and everything is mission critical on it and can't afford a crash etc and I can't use WHS.
    Now I can't run restores from any of our machines.
    What have I done wrong with the new WHS installation. I installed as per the on-screen instructions, re-installed Avast anti virus and he external drives for server back up and normal back ups. But I can't use the restore CD, have I missed installing something on the server?

Any help would be appreciated please.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Adele
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Hi Adele,
    is your operating system 64 Bit? In this case the drivers in the folder will not work, since the recovery environment is 32 Bit. Best choice are here usually Vista 32 Bit drivers.
    Eventually one of the following FAQs can help you:
    How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore
    How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment

Can you access your backups from the console and open them?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:13 PM