none
In-Progress Post Durability RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The new forum system looks great - and "I am Sam"'s video was great too.

But I was hoping to find out whether you've implemented any mechanism to ensure in-progress post durability.  One of the common issues that I experience when using online forums is that in the event of a local error, web server error or a wild key press (like the Backspace key in IE without having input focus in the text area) I often lose all of the work that I've put into a post without being able to retreive it, which is extremely frustrating and inconvenient.  This is the major reason why I really hate having to write posts on the web and why I also flip to raw HTML view periodically and copy my posts into notepad - especially the long ones.

Since you're using AJAX extensively, would it be possible to periodically cache posts as they are being written in the user's session on the server and then provide some way to access the unposted cache to retrieve information in the event of an error?  Maybe a bit more control, like a Cache Now button on the toolbar would also be useful.

Thanks,
    Dave
    http://davesexton.com/blog
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:56 PM

Answers

• Dave,

Hopefully, the issues you raise have been mitigated in this system.

1. Upon submit, the post editor is only dismissed if the response/result is success. So should any errors occur during submission, you should always have the ability to retry the submit or worst case copy your post from the editor and save it if things are really down on our side :)

2. If the editor is open and a physical page navigation is attempted, we do bring up a Confirm Prompt to verify the action.

Certainly let us know if you do run into any issues and we'll do what we can to mitigate.

Thanks!
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• Dave,

Hopefully, the issues you raise have been mitigated in this system.

1. Upon submit, the post editor is only dismissed if the response/result is success. So should any errors occur during submission, you should always have the ability to retry the submit or worst case copy your post from the editor and save it if things are really down on our side :)

2. If the editor is open and a physical page navigation is attempted, we do bring up a Confirm Prompt to verify the action.

Certainly let us know if you do run into any issues and we'll do what we can to mitigate.

Thanks!
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Rob.

Those features definitely seem like they're going to help.  I tested #2 and it works, so that's a plus :)

If I run into any issues I'll be sure to let you know.

The thing about writing stuff in web editors though is that I can't quckly save my work by just pressing a button, like in rich client apps.  I guess copying periodically to notepad will still have to do.

Thanks,
    Dave
    http://davesexton.com/blog
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:02 PM