none
Forum Alerts Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• A problem on my MSDN account started a couple of weeks ago and I am not receiving alerts to postings after I respond.  My settings are all correct and the first time this occured I just clicked the Resend confirmation button and responded to the confirmation and all seemed fine.

However, this week I noticed it again.  I performed the same action as before of resending the confirmation on my email address and again all seemed fine except today the problem is now back.

I check-in to the forums from various computers (desktop and laptop) and maybe this has something to do with the problem ... or not because I've done this the same way for as long as I have been contributing to the forums.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:59 PM

Answers

• FYI, I was pushed a Java update yesterday. I installed it but unfortunately it did not correct this problem.  I still have to manually turn on alerts for threads I respond to.

Edit ... BTW if I initiate the the post, the alert gets set automatically.  As in the case of my first post to you on this issue. The problem is when I respond to someone else's post.  The alert switch does not get flipped on.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Hi Ed, We had a bug tracking this but it got fixed with the hotfix released last week. After that we haven’t repro any other issue with the Alerts. We keep on investigating but there is no repro so far.

Community Forums QA

Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:44 AM

All replies

• Couple of things:

Check your forums settings. We have had a report from a user her email keeps getting wiped out. If you click forum settings in the right rail, ensure you have an email configured correctly.

Check your junk mail folder. We had to switch our SMTP servers that send out the emails. So we are running on a back server. This backup server doesn't set email headers as correctly as the regular server so some email clients may trigger the emails as spam.

We had a bug a while back that was in production for about a month (From Jan 5th to about Feb 6th). When this bug was out there, users that replied to emails with the "Alert me when someone respond to this post" was not working. This is an option when replying. Users could still subscribe to a thread from the thread page (Alert Me at the top of a thread). So alerts were still working but there was a lot of confusion about this.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Rich, some question:

What do you mean by “just clicked the Resend confirmation button”? When you have configured your alerts you just have the Unsubscribe and Change links:

or what you mean is that this is what you are seeing on your settings page:

Something else, when the problem happens do you see the “Alert me when someone responds to the post” checkbox next to the Cancel button? Is it checked?

Finally, what browser do you use?

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Thank you Brent and Eduardo for you replies.

I am using IE 8 and in the Configure Alerts section I see both lines.  One contains the (Unsubscribe) (Change) selections and the other line contains the (Resend) (Cancel) selections. In my posting I was referring to selecting the "Resend" option on that second line.

This is what is looks like (I'veremoved the actual email address):

Configure Alerts
    <input CHECKED="checked" name="alwaysSubscribe" type="checkbox" value="true" /><label for="alwaysSubscribe">Always Alert Me By Default When I PostAlways Alert Me By Default When I Post</label>
    Your configured email address is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. (Unsubscribe) (Change)
    <input class="textbox" id="emailAddress" name="emailAddress" type="text" /> <label for="emailAddress">Please enter your email address.</label>
    <input class="textbox" id="emailAddressVerify" name="emailAddressVerify" type="text" /> <label for="emailAddressVerify">Please verify your email address.</label>
    You have successfully been unsubscribed from receiving email alerts.
    You cannot receive email alerts until you verify the confirmation email recently sent to 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'. (Resend) (Cancel)

My email address is correct and I can open a thread and click the Alert Me toggle.  When doing that, I do receive an email alert and when I look at "My Threads" for those threads where I have clicked the Alert Me toggle the "Bell" icon appears.  However, when I do not click on the Alert Me toggle and I do respond to a thread the then in "My Threads" the posting to which I replied does not show the "Bell" icon and I do not receive any notification email when the OP or others respond.

Case in point here is a paste from "My Thread" and a thread I just reponded to:

I'm pretty sure the junk mail filter is not the issue because as you can see from the above image, the reply is not even turning on the alert icon. My email is also correct and set properly I believe because it has been this same email and setting for many months, if not at least a year. 

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:46 PM
  •  

That makes me think that your JavaScript is disabled. Please, double check that JavaScript is enabled in your browser.

Hope this helps.

Community Forums QA

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Hi Eduardo,

I have double checked that setting and it was fine (enabled). I now also tried to toggle it off and back on to see if that makes a difference and will post back if the problem has been resolved.

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Unfortunately the problem continues with Alerts unless I go back after responding and manually turn them on.

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Thanks for letting us know. We will keep on investigating this issue.

Community Forums QA

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Thanks for letting us know. We will keep on investigating this issue.

Community Forums QA

Eduardo, is it logged as a bug?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:27 PM
    Owner
  • FYI, I was pushed a Java update yesterday. I installed it but unfortunately it did not correct this problem.  I still have to manually turn on alerts for threads I respond to.

Edit ... BTW if I initiate the the post, the alert gets set automatically.  As in the case of my first post to you on this issue. The problem is when I respond to someone else's post.  The alert switch does not get flipped on.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Hi Ed, We had a bug tracking this but it got fixed with the hotfix released last week. After that we haven’t repro any other issue with the Alerts. We keep on investigating but there is no repro so far.

Community Forums QA

Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:44 AM
  • I have further information ...

If I respond to a post and do so by clicking on the post's Title line then my automatic alert gets set. If however, I use the down arrow immediately left of the Title link expanding the thread and respond to the thread from there, the automatic alert does not get set.

My habit has always been to use the expand thread method so I did not notice that the problem was not occurring in the other method to open threads.  I believe I started using the expand thread method because at one time the direct open method took you back to the beginning of all posts, when you hit the back arrow, and not directly back to where you were in the summary listing.

So the problem appears to be isolated to this one method.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Now I remember why I prefer the expand thread versus the direct open ...

When you click the post link and navigate back to the full listing by using the back arrow, the previous page view is restored.  Thus the subject title link shows as not accessed.  It's easy to lose your place and it's not helpful when viewing a number of postings. 

Hopefully you find the problem with the expand thread method and let me know when it's fixed.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:33 PM
  • That's how it happens here as well. Used to be (10-15 days ago) only for technet branding but now all brandings are affected.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:41 PM