Problem with activating Xp Home RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with my Sony Laptop. There was recently a problem with the hard drive and I had to replace it. I didn't burn the recovery CD's like I was supposed to (dumb, I know). The Sony has a COA (with Sony Corp in black lettering) on the bottom and I didn't think a reinstallation would be an issue.

I used my legal copy of Windows XP HOME (SP2) at first. It accepts the key off the Sony, but it cannot activate over the internet. I have also tried an OEM version of Windows XP with no SPs in a vain attempt to get it working.

Finally, this morning I phone the activation number. I entered the long 50-digit code and the computer voice told me that this product key has used on other systems and that I should buy another copy.

So is it possible that my CD key has been stolen?? I heard at this point you are supposed to be able to choose to speak to a customer rep, but I don't remember being offered a choice.

Any help would be very gratefully accepted as I am really frustated I can't get my legal copy of XP working on my laptop.

Thanks,
    Rob Taylor
    Monday, June 11, 2007 12:50 PM

Answers

• Slay3r11,

My last post in this thread  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1701220&SiteID=25  applies to your situation as well.

Your Sony's Product Key has been removed from the automatic internet activation database as a means of protecting you against someone copying down your PK and trying to activate another computer with it.  You will have to use the Telephonic activation to activate your Sony's PK.

If you go to this page at Sony, http://esupport.sony.com/?ref=http%3A//www.sony.com/index.php, enter your model number in the lower right, it will take you to the model number home page, and on that page will be a link to click to see if a replacement Recovery CD/DVD kit is available to be ordered from Sony.

Post back to let us know how you make out!

Monday, June 11, 2007 1:19 PM
  • So will I definitely need the Sony Disk? Or can a simple call to MS solve this? Sorry, I'm a little confused.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 1:49 PM
  • Slay3r11,

Your best option is to order the Recovery Kit from Sony assuming that it is available.

If it's not available, use a systembuilder/OEM CD for your edition of XP (Home, Pro, etc) combined with the PK on your Sony's CoA.  That will get XP installed.  To activate, do a Telephonic activation.  If the telephonic activation is rejected, choose the option to speak with a live activation representative.

Monday, June 11, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Alright Dan,

thanks for the help. I need to first register my Sony at sony.co.uk before I can seek support from customer service. So I'll do that tonight. If Sony can't supply what I need, I'll try calling MS again and attempt speaking to a real person! Smile
    Monday, June 11, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Slay3r11,

The call to the activation center is dependent upon using the right CD to do the installation you want to activate.  So, as I posted in the other thread to TaninWulf, you have to use a systembuilder/OEM CD if you expect to install, then call MS for the telephone activation.  Using any other CD is going to foul things up.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Monday, June 11, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Alright Dan,

I have a OEM version installed at the moment. I tried briefly calling the support centre. I got a new activation number from them but unfortunately I got disconnected from the support centre before I entered the number completely (I had copied it down). Unfortunately it didn't work, but I could have made a mistake. I didn't get an opportunity to call again before I headed off to the pub .

So I'll try again tonight and see what happens. Otherwise I will have to get the CD's from Sony and try again.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:57 AM
  • Slay3r11,

Those are looooooooooooooooong numbers so it's easy to make a mistake.  But, believe it or not, when they first tested this system, using all numbers resulted in fewer errors than a combination of letters and numbers.

Be sure to let us know how it's going!

BTW, my personal advice would be, if they are reasonably priced, get the Sony CDs/DVDs no matter what happens.  They will simplify this process if you ever have to do it again, and when you sell or give away the laptop, they will benefit the next owner.  You may find that some programs inlcuded with the Sony when new are not available for download from the Sony website, and that the only way to get those programs will be to run the Recovery CD/DVD.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Alright Dan,

I finally got back to microsoft this morning. I entered the 50-digit number that XP generates and voila! It worked. The actiavtion code was read out to me and Windows activated no problem.

Perhaps when I called previously the PK was flagged as legal? And this time the PK worked. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Rob

Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Slay3r11,

You're welcome!

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:04 PM

All replies

• Slay3r11,

My last post in this thread  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1701220&SiteID=25  applies to your situation as well.

Your Sony's Product Key has been removed from the automatic internet activation database as a means of protecting you against someone copying down your PK and trying to activate another computer with it.  You will have to use the Telephonic activation to activate your Sony's PK.

If you go to this page at Sony, http://esupport.sony.com/?ref=http%3A//www.sony.com/index.php, enter your model number in the lower right, it will take you to the model number home page, and on that page will be a link to click to see if a replacement Recovery CD/DVD kit is available to be ordered from Sony.

Post back to let us know how you make out!

Monday, June 11, 2007 1:19 PM
  • So will I definitely need the Sony Disk? Or can a simple call to MS solve this? Sorry, I'm a little confused.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 1:49 PM
  • Slay3r11,

Your best option is to order the Recovery Kit from Sony assuming that it is available.

If it's not available, use a systembuilder/OEM CD for your edition of XP (Home, Pro, etc) combined with the PK on your Sony's CoA.  That will get XP installed.  To activate, do a Telephonic activation.  If the telephonic activation is rejected, choose the option to speak with a live activation representative.

Monday, June 11, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Alright Dan,

thanks for the help. I need to first register my Sony at sony.co.uk before I can seek support from customer service. So I'll do that tonight. If Sony can't supply what I need, I'll try calling MS again and attempt speaking to a real person! Smile
    Monday, June 11, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Slay3r11,

The call to the activation center is dependent upon using the right CD to do the installation you want to activate.  So, as I posted in the other thread to TaninWulf, you have to use a systembuilder/OEM CD if you expect to install, then call MS for the telephone activation.  Using any other CD is going to foul things up.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Monday, June 11, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Alright Dan,

I have a OEM version installed at the moment. I tried briefly calling the support centre. I got a new activation number from them but unfortunately I got disconnected from the support centre before I entered the number completely (I had copied it down). Unfortunately it didn't work, but I could have made a mistake. I didn't get an opportunity to call again before I headed off to the pub .

So I'll try again tonight and see what happens. Otherwise I will have to get the CD's from Sony and try again.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:57 AM
  • Slay3r11,

Those are looooooooooooooooong numbers so it's easy to make a mistake.  But, believe it or not, when they first tested this system, using all numbers resulted in fewer errors than a combination of letters and numbers.

Be sure to let us know how it's going!

BTW, my personal advice would be, if they are reasonably priced, get the Sony CDs/DVDs no matter what happens.  They will simplify this process if you ever have to do it again, and when you sell or give away the laptop, they will benefit the next owner.  You may find that some programs inlcuded with the Sony when new are not available for download from the Sony website, and that the only way to get those programs will be to run the Recovery CD/DVD.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Alright Dan,

I finally got back to microsoft this morning. I entered the 50-digit number that XP generates and voila! It worked. The actiavtion code was read out to me and Windows activated no problem.

Perhaps when I called previously the PK was flagged as legal? And this time the PK worked. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Rob

Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Slay3r11,

You're welcome!

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:04 PM