SQL Server Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to become fully certified in SQL Server and complete the certifications from MCSA through to MCSM.

I have some experience with SQL Server. How long should I give to complete the 3 MCSA certs - studying on a part-time basis.

I would love to hear your experiences on studying for these exams.

Thanks!

Monday, April 22, 2013 9:21 PM

Answers

• How long should I give to complete the 3 MCSA certs [...]

I understand that you mean "the 3 exams needed to complete the MCSA".

- 70-461 "Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012" will strongly depend on how much you know about writing SQL queries. If you are already experienced in SQL programming, it shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours to review the "skills measured" list and perhaps read a little bit of the documentation about the newest features such as sequences. On the other hand, if you are new to SQL, you will probably need to attend a course or read a good book and practice writng queries. In this case, count on spending perhaps 40 hours on this topic.

- 70-462 "Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases" once again depends on your previus experience as a SQL administrator. If you are relatively new to SQL Server, a typical course is 40 hours long, or you might spend an equivalent amount of time studying a training kit. However, if you are already an experienced administrator, preparing the exam would just involve reading the "skills measured" list and perhaps reviewing a little bit on those topics about which you are not entirely familiar. You can probably do it in a couple of hours if you are really familiar with SQL Server.

- Need I say any more about 70-463 "Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012"? Once again, your previous experience and knowledge will dictate the amount of time that you need to spend, but as a hint the 10777 course is 5 days long (40 hours).

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

The MS-Press self study books can be a good resource if you studying this way works for you. But not all books for the MCSA/MCSE exams have been released yet so you should have a look at which ones are already available.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Blog: http://www.citrix-guru.com and http://www.rds-support.eu Twitter: @dnyvandam

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:03 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• How long should I give to complete the 3 MCSA certs [...]

I understand that you mean "the 3 exams needed to complete the MCSA".

- 70-461 "Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012" will strongly depend on how much you know about writing SQL queries. If you are already experienced in SQL programming, it shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours to review the "skills measured" list and perhaps read a little bit of the documentation about the newest features such as sequences. On the other hand, if you are new to SQL, you will probably need to attend a course or read a good book and practice writng queries. In this case, count on spending perhaps 40 hours on this topic.

- 70-462 "Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases" once again depends on your previus experience as a SQL administrator. If you are relatively new to SQL Server, a typical course is 40 hours long, or you might spend an equivalent amount of time studying a training kit. However, if you are already an experienced administrator, preparing the exam would just involve reading the "skills measured" list and perhaps reviewing a little bit on those topics about which you are not entirely familiar. You can probably do it in a couple of hours if you are really familiar with SQL Server.

- Need I say any more about 70-463 "Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012"? Once again, your previous experience and knowledge will dictate the amount of time that you need to spend, but as a hint the 10777 course is 5 days long (40 hours).

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:34 AM
  • Thank You!

I will be studying on my own so would you recommend the Microsoft Training Kits? Any other recommended resources?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

The MS-Press self study books can be a good resource if you studying this way works for you. But not all books for the MCSA/MCSE exams have been released yet so you should have a look at which ones are already available.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Blog: http://www.citrix-guru.com and http://www.rds-support.eu Twitter: @dnyvandam

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:03 PM
    Answerer