Over 70 complaints on this thread alone about Microsoft suddenly accusing valid users of being thieves running counterfeit Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• In the last two months this thread alone has received many dozens of complaints that all take the same form: the user bought a computer with Windows 7 years ago, hasn't changed any hardware or software or software settings--but is suddenly getting a message from Microsoft telling users their valid copy of Windows 7 is counterfeit.

Microsoft should know by now that it has a serious problem of its own creation. That it is insulting customers right and left--not by asking them to run a validation check (which doesn't work by the way--it just runs for hours without going anywhere)--but by calling them thieves.

Moreover, in all the ways Microsoft's website offers to help troubleshoot this issue, Microsoft never in any way offers users the option of what to do when Microsoft screws up. Only if the user screws up. This is the arrogance of monopoly. Microsoft of all companies should know that it is capable of making mistakes. I've been using Windows since Windows 95, and I've seen these mistakes innumerable times. But this is the most annoying yet.

MY COPY OF WINDOWS 7 IS VALID. I shouldn't have to do ANYTHING to fix this problem that is entirely Microsoft's fault. Microsoft needs to issue an update that fixes it--and it needs to apologize to all the paying customers it has inconvenienced and offended.

HP Pavilion Slimline s51260 Desktop purchased May 14, 2012, from HP via Amazon.com, with Windows 7 Home Premium, product ID # 00359-OEM-89922687-00010 --properly activated on May 15 or therabouts, 2012, with the the option selected for automatic updates.

Run with Comcast broadband using Comcast-supplied Norton 360, also automatically updated, with no issues until now.

If feels like Microsoft has applied the Napoleanic code to it customers: all are guilty of stealing from Microsoft unless they can prove otherwise.

The second I can find an alternative to using Microsoft products I will take it. I've always defended Microsoft against its many detractors--and there are plenty here in Silicon Valley. No more.

• Edited by Lee Thé Sunday, December 14, 2014 12:55 AM
    Sunday, December 14, 2014 12:53 AM

Answers

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool

(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once saved, run the tool.

Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

- in your own thread, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, December 14, 2014 9:53 AM

All replies

•  I am looking at Linux as an alternative, wish me luck learning it. I have received the same message twice this year (March and again in the last few days).They can see what version of wndows we use,if your on a help page for XP they direct you to the correct page you need for your version of windows.

The first time I had to do a complete backup and then format  and reinstall windows 7....A BIG  PAIN IN THE B...

Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:05 AM
  • To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool

(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once saved, run the tool.

Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

- in your own thread, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Sunday, December 14, 2014 9:53 AM
  • MS have NEVER, and do not now, accuse anyone of anything in their WGA error messages - They merely say the you MAY be the victim of counterfeiting.

Sunday, December 14, 2014 9:58 AM