BSOD when trying to install windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Windows Home Server on an old Gateway 550GR desktop that had a busted motherboard.  I replaced the motherboard with a cheap Foxconn 649 series that had similar specs to the old mobo.  Whenever i try to install WHS, i get a BSOD.  The error message varies, but i have seen stop errors like 7E, 8E, C5, and others.  It seems to always revolve around drivers or memory, but i ran Memtest and it came up clean.  Like I said, the mobo is brand new, there are NO special devices installed (DVD Drive, RAM, and 2 HDD is all thats in there)

I have seen people that say the only errors in install are due to faulty DVD disks or drives.  I have tried 2 DVD drives, and they both gave errors, and i know they are good drives.  The disks i ordered from Newegg, they came in Microsoft OEM packaging, and the install disk went straight into the drive.  So, unless Microsoft packaged a faulty disk, I can't seem to see how there could be a problem.

This brings me to my other problem.  If i am lucky enough to make it past the 1st restart, when the Server 2003 install comes up with the traditional blue install screen, as it is copying the necessary files, it says that some files can be copied.  I have made it to this point 3 times, and all 3 times the some files could not be copied, different ones each time, some seeming more essential than the others.

What might be the problem?  Could it be a bad IDE or SATA controller on the Mobo? How would i confirm that as the source?  Maybe its a bad IDE or SATA cable?  Because to me, it seems like there is a problem BETWEEN the DVD drive and the HDD.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated.

- Jeremy, AKA Ctrl Alt Del
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    0x0000000A usually points to hardware problems.
    0x0000008E is often associated with RAM issues. (either broken module or incompatibility - see here)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:19 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to install any other OS onto the system, i.e Xp, or Vista? It could help isolate your problem at least a little bit.
    I had install failures when I had 2 drives installed, I removed the 2nd drive, did the installation and it went flawlessly. I powered down and installed all of my other drives. Powered up and life was good. Make sure the drives are already formatted.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:06 AM
  • i thought the drives were formatted automatically by the installation process?
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Ctrl Alt Del said:

I am trying to install Windows Home Server on an old Gateway 550GR desktop that had a busted motherboard.  I replaced the motherboard with a cheap Foxconn 649 series that had similar specs to the old mobo.  Whenever i try to install WHS, i get a BSOD.  The error message varies, but i have seen stop errors like 7E, 8E, C5, and others.  It seems to always revolve around drivers or memory, but i ran Memtest and it came up clean.  Like I said, the mobo is brand new, there are NO special devices installed (DVD Drive, RAM, and 2 HDD is all thats in there)

I have seen people that say the only errors in install are due to faulty DVD disks or drives.  I have tried 2 DVD drives, and they both gave errors, and i know they are good drives.  The disks i ordered from Newegg, they came in Microsoft OEM packaging, and the install disk went straight into the drive.  So, unless Microsoft packaged a faulty disk, I can't seem to see how there could be a problem.

This brings me to my other problem.  If i am lucky enough to make it past the 1st restart, when the Server 2003 install comes up with the traditional blue install screen, as it is copying the necessary files, it says that some files can be copied.  I have made it to this point 3 times, and all 3 times the some files could not be copied, different ones each time, some seeming more essential than the others.

What might be the problem?  Could it be a bad IDE or SATA controller on the Mobo? How would i confirm that as the source?  Maybe its a bad IDE or SATA cable?  Because to me, it seems like there is a problem BETWEEN the DVD drive and the HDD.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated.

- Jeremy, AKA Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

Here is the MSDN library link to BSOD errors.

Most of the ones you mentioned point to problems with memory allocation.

The STOP 0x7E error mentions that you should check for a BIOS update for your motherboard. 

I understand that the motherboard is new but sometimes manufacturers release updates shortly after putting a new board on the market. If there is a problem with the SATA controllers, the BIOS update should fix that as well.

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:39 PM
  • the motherboard has the most recent BIOS installed.  Not surprising that there are few updates, since it is a cheap board that is made for an older computer, but i've had foxconn in one of my other computers for 2 years now with no problems.

I guess i will try doing it with one hard drive, but i don't know if i should format them because i thought they were formatted in a special way by the install process.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:15 PM
  • I agree, swapping the dvd drive normally fixes these errors :)  So, yes try diff cables.  For fun might also try a diff controler/connector for your ide dvd.  Correct, no need to "prepare" the hard drive, setup does all that

Still......

Grey

Grey
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:07 PM
  • tried new cables, a known working DVD drive, and only the big hard drive today.  Got stop error 0A.  I will try the other hard drive alone, and maybe put the DVD drive on the other IDE controller.

Tried the other IDE controller, got stop error 8E
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Hi,
    0x0000000A usually points to hardware problems.
    0x0000008E is often associated with RAM issues. (either broken module or incompatibility - see here)

Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:19 AM
  • right, and i passed memtest with flying colors, and they are 2 matched sticks that i know work with the mobo
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Incompatibility must not always be incompatibility with the hardware, but could also be with the software. (I had also a machine performing stable in XP, but crashing in Vista with above error using the same hardware platform including memory modules. After swapping the memory the issue no longer happened.)
    You could try at least, to remove one of the modules (which size are they?).
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:53 PM
  • interesting response... ill try that, and if it works, i learned something new today
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:45 PM
  • I second the notion of removing one memory module during install only, once finished put it back in.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 11:49 PM