Cannot install/use with multiple user accounts/profiles RRS feed

• Question

• Forgive me if this isn't the right method of posting feedback. After getting the Microsoft newsletter advising Live Mesh, I went to the trouble of installation as it's just the product I want. However, I'm sorry to say that it just does not work in one important area and reading the forums there appears to be similar feedback.

I have 3 devices that I wish to mesh. The first (and problematic  one) is the home computer. I also have my work laptop and a home laptop. All systems run XP with SP3 (integrated). The home computer is setup with 5 users, one for each family member. Each family member has their own login and Live ID (for Messenger etc). I found that it is simply not possible to get Live Mesh working on the home computer when using multiple user accounts. It seems its just getting itself screwed with respect to user accounts/profiles. I had no trouble installing on the laptops where (at this time), there is just the one user.

I found that the first user I setup on the home computer (me) would work fine. However, when I logged in to another user account so as to setup a mesh for my daugther, I could add the home laptop device to her mesh but I could not add the home computer to her mesh.

I found the installation (which would be the second install of the Mesh installer as it was already installed for my user account) would not complete, it would sit on trying to startup; so the installation never finished such that the device would show on her mesh desktop. If you reboot, the same hang type condition. If I switched user to my login it's still working fine.

It also seems to effect Add or Remove Programs. At one stage I manged to uninstall Live Mesh from her account and then when I went into my login, Live Mesh logged in and was working but I had no entry in Add or Remove Programs. I had to install the software on my account again to be able to then uninstall it, even thought it was still working.

I also noted that when I was on my daughters login, when I used Explorer to check mesh folders (one that I had created on my account), it showed under the wrong user.

I dont know about submitting bugs but it seems to me it should be fairly easy to setup a repro; simply have one device with mulitple users with each user wanting to add that device into their own mesh (with there own Live ID). Note I'm not trying to sync docs to one computer, but rather, have each user with there own mesh and their own docs within a folder (that I can then get access to from work etc if they want me to do prints etc) from a common home computer.

Regards,
    Andrew.

Edit: I should add the 'hang' is the message 'Starting Live Mesh'. Also, each user on the home computer is a member of the Administrators group. It's only myself and my daughter that I've tried to setup on the home computer.
    • Edited by kudabird Friday, August 15, 2008 5:07 AM More info
    Friday, August 15, 2008 4:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Kudabird,

If you could please login to the "home computer" with your daughters account the one with the installation failures, go to: c:\%temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log grab that log and email it to me at LMPREV@microsoft.com

We'll be able to get a better idea of what's going wrong with your installation from the log file and how to help you get it working right.

A couple questions though just to help clarify somethings:

Is your daughters account an administrator or user level account?
    When you went to install on her account (if she's not an admin) did you have to provide admin login during the installation?
    When you uninstalled did you uninstall while logged in under her account or yours?

-Ken
    • Edited by kensm [msft] Monday, August 18, 2008 7:55 PM additional questions
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:10 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 7:45 PM

All replies

• I think your post should get a more detailed reply from someone on the Mesh team, but I seem to recall a post in the forum recently where the issue of multiple user accounts was discussed.
    Basically, the first account that installs Live Mesh adds the machine to the Mesh. Each user account on the PC can use Live Mesh with their own ID, but the PC is already part of Live Mesh as the services start before the user is logged in. You don't install Mesh to each user account to add the device to multiple Meshes, I guess is how I read that. However, the users can designate a folder to be added to their Mesh. You would never want the same folder to be added from the device to multiple Meshes, though or you could create a conflict scenario. So, once a folder on the device is added to Mesh #1, other users could be invited to share in that Meshed folder and it would be available in their Live Desktop and could be synchronized to their own local folder as long as it differed from the origin folder for Mesh #1. However, this would create multiple copies of the same file on the local PC.
    I hope that made some sense. :-) And, I hope that a more definitive and authoritative explanation will be forthcoming from the Live Mesh team.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, August 15, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Steve. Just to reiterate however, I do not want to share files between users on the same computer (such that there would be multiple copies of the same files), but rather, each user to place their OWN documents into their OWN mesh login (Live Desktop). The next step would be to then share say my daughters Live Desktop files to my work laptop. I cant get that far as when I try and add the computer as a device to her LIve Desktop it's stuck on trying to start. Doing some reserach suggested the design of the credentials is <device><live id> so each person on a common device should be a seperate idenity but the installer and services just dont work when adding the second user with their own XP login and Live ID. I've just made up a virtual PC with two users and will do further experimentation there in the meantime.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 9:27 PM
  • Well I have managed to get two users working on a Virtual PC setup. However, all weekend and most of today I could not get even one instance of Live Mesh.exe to install to completion; it would sit on trying to start. I'm currently on the work network and after many changes (and I mean many), it spontaneously installed and started within my user account. I then logged on using a different user account (with a different Live ID) and that too installed. Go figure. One of the last changes I made was to set IE proxy to auto detect. My home network does not use a proxy so not sure how one might work around this. It seems the installer is getting hung up on a network connectivity issue of some kind. Once install it seems to work. Now to retest on the home PC.

For the record, some of the changes I made where with uPNP, user account name (no spaces), associating user account with .Net, firewall, proxy etc etc.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 4:15 AM
  • Finally some progress, but not without more pain. Tonight I'm trying to again setup the home pc and this time around I'm getting installation failure such that it reports a network error and uninstalls itself. Again after much investigation I find (possibly) the cause. I say possibly as I dont have Wireshark on the home equipment so don't have any traces. The solution for failing installation whereby it reports network error and I suspect also were the it appears to hang (so to speak) starting is possibly both due to DNS. In my case the router/modem gets two DNS entries from my ISP. I've now changed these to point to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 which is OpenDNS. As soon as I did this the installation completed and the Live Mesh starts as expected. I suspect the installer in particular is trying to resolve a DNS entry of some kind and getting hung up when it cant.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 11:05 AM
  • I'm interested in your progress on this. Thanks for posting the painful description.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, August 18, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Hi Kudabird,

If you could please login to the "home computer" with your daughters account the one with the installation failures, go to: c:\%temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log grab that log and email it to me at LMPREV@microsoft.com

We'll be able to get a better idea of what's going wrong with your installation from the log file and how to help you get it working right.

A couple questions though just to help clarify somethings:

Is your daughters account an administrator or user level account?
    When you went to install on her account (if she's not an admin) did you have to provide admin login during the installation?
    When you uninstalled did you uninstall while logged in under her account or yours?

-Ken
    • Edited by kensm [msft] Monday, August 18, 2008 7:55 PM additional questions
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:10 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hi Ken. Sorry I dont have the logs (just checked) as my system is setup to purge temp and similar files on boot. I see that someone else has OpenDNS as their DNS server and it hasn't helped, but I can say in my case it did (as best one can tell without evidence of network trace etc). In my post I talk about changing the DNS setting within the router/modem (Billion 7401VGPM) but before I did that I went to TCPIP properties for the adapter (all system use wireless with the router/modem upstairs in a central location) and set a DNS entry (where before it was DHCP assigned as provided by the router itself). I simply added the one IP address of 208.67.222.222 to the preferred DNS server location followed by a repair so as to flush arp etc etc. That one change alone allowed the installer to complete without the network error. There was no restart of the system or router at all. I suspect (but again without evidence) that it helped also with the application starting. Considering the variability I'd also be happy if someone said it was just good luck.

All users are member of the Administrators group and have their applicable passport associated with the account.

I note something that I can't say I've seen in the past, and that is only the user that has installed LiveMesh.exe will see an entry within Add or Remove Programs. I'm used to seeing an application once installed showing there for all users but not in this case. Therefore, each user that is to add a device to the Mesh must run the LiveMesh.exe installer to be able to add their specific credentials <device><live id> to the Mesh. They would then also get the Start menu icons and an entry seen within Add or Remove Programs when opened using their login.

I plan to add the Mrs next so if that fails I'll get some logs.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:29 AM
  • Just to add to this...

I've noticed the same thing, but from a difference perspective.  Here at work standard users accounts do not have the admin privilages necessary to install Live Mesh.  Therefore I've previously used my admin account to install Mesh on my laptop (don't tell anyone...!). 

In the past this has worked fine, and although an admin contect was used for the installation Mesh would start up when I logged in - implying an 'All Users' or 'Per Machine' installation.

last week however I rebuilt my laptop and tried to install Mesh in the same way (runas), this time it didn't work.  At first i thought that the installation had failed as there was no item for Mesh in Add/Remove Programs.  Running the installation a second time however I get a message saying that mesh is already installed.  Using the command line switches I was able to uninstall and reinstall, but found the same result.  So it seems like Mesh is now installing 'Per User'.  I'm not sure if/when this changed in the installation package?

Hope the extra information helps!

Tom
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:47 PM
  • I have installed Live Mesh on my home laptop under my admin account as I needed the admin rights to install it. Now I want to use it with my user account but it does not seem to work. All the Live Mesh functionality seems to be only available for the admin account. Is there a way to solve this issue?

Help appreciated.

Monday, May 24, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Give the limited User account Admin rights, log on to the PC with that User, install Live Mesh, log out of the user account and change the account back to a limited user type. You should now be able to run Live Mesh under the limited user account.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Thanks Steve,

Do I have to uninstall it from the main admin account first?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Thanks Steve,

No, just run the install when logged into your User account after it has been temporarily made an admin account.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:02 PM
  • Thanks Steve,

No, just run the install when logged into your User account after it has been temporarily made an admin account.

-steve

I would like to also have a second account use Live Mesh.  How do I install it for that second user?  The computer is already added to the mesh.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:05 PM
  • flclifton -

Sorry for the delayed reply - I've been away the past 2 weeks.

Simply install when logged into the machine under the other Windows ID as noted earlier in the thread. The 2nd users account needs to have Admin rights during the install.

-steve

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:46 PM