none
Connector software reports serverID not set RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried about everything to solve this one.  I can only connect to my server console remotely.  On local client machines, server console does not load on bootup, though server is connected, and I have access to all data.  The little server console icon doesn't even load.  I have Windows 7 32bit, everything updated.  I have WHS power pack 3, all updated.  Taking the advice of one of the mod posts I saw, I looked at event viewer and found this:

Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.

- System

- Provider
          [ Name] HomeServer

- EventID 1794
          [ Qualifiers] 36863

Level 3

Task 7

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
          [ SystemTime] 2010-08-01T14:09:12.000000000Z

EventRecordID 70001

Channel Application

Computer alien

Security

EventData

Sunday, August 1, 2010 2:30 PM

All replies

• On local client machines, server console does not load on bootup, though server is connected,
    I've tried about everything to solve this one

If so, there is nothing else left to do.

However... did you reinstall the Connector software and install it again.

"brandtryan" wrote in message news:93628fba-20fe-4c24-ae84-7a52eb89c0e8@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I've tried about everything to solve this one. I can only connect to my server console remotely. On local client machines, server console does not load on bootup, though server is connected, and I have access to all data. The little server console icon doesn't even load. I have Windows 7 32bit, everything updated. I have WHS power pack 3, all updated. Taking the advice of one of the mod posts I saw, I looked at event viewer and found this:

Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.

*- *System
    *- *Provider
    [ *Name*]HomeServer *- **EventID*1794
    [ *Qualifiers*]36863 *Level*3 *Task*7 *Keywords*0x80000000000000 *- *TimeCreated
    [ *SystemTime*]2010-08-01T14:09:12.000000000Z *EventRecordID*70001 *Channel*Application *Computer*alien Security

EventData

Have a nice day!
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Did you try running discovery.exe?
    Any errors?

From the client, can you "ping" the server by name (e.g. start->run, ping {servername})

When installing the connector software (through http:\\{servename}:55000), does it install succesfully?
    Try uninstalling the connector, restart the client, reinstall the connector?
    If you have any firewall or antivirus software running, disable it prior to installing the connector to see if it interferes with the server connection?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Hi Theo,

I'm facing  the same problem on a Windows 7 client. When running the discovery.exe manually I get an error stating: "This operation cannot be completed at this time."

In the eventviewer the same entry occurs as stated in the post of brandtryan .

So I have allready uninstalled and reinstalled all whs related software. I can reach my homeserver without any problems by either pinging or even by manually create a mapping.

I also disabled firewall and created an entry in my host file but all without any progress.

The strange thing is that all works fine on another pc (that is running XP pro).

Any ideas?

Björn

Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:57 PM

• I have seen similar problems beeing reported (most of them occuring when installing the connector software).
    I think this problem most likely is network related.
    Never encountered this behaviour on any of my test machines and to be honest, I have no idea.....

Just my thoughts / FWIW:
    1. The time and time-zone on the client to match the server?
    2. On Windows 7, Network and Sharing Center: check if your network is classified as "Home Network" (not "Public")?
    3. The problem client is in the same workgroup as the other clients?
    4. Try running discovery.exe with the internet router disconnected from your local network?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:03 PM