Problem accessing files on my WHS Shares (very very slow) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I’m having problems with my WHS which I’m hoping someone here may be able to assist with. I have a HP ex470 that I’ve been using without issue for just under two years now. At the weekend I found that my media centre PC was having problems streaming video from it (wireless network accessing the files directly from a shared folder on the WHS), video was very jerky/unwatchable.

I then checked from a wired device and had the same problem. Attempted to access the WHS console and this also failed. RDP session to the WHS found that there was a problem with .Net (not sure if it was a failed update) but .Net 2 was corrupt preventing the console app from work.

Followed a couple of online guides and I believe I’ve got .Net re-installed and fixed (Console working and no more errors in the event log).  Thing is the problem with accessing files is still present with no errors in the event log indicating what it is. Also none of the four drives in stalled are reporting any fault and I’ve chkdsked the drives and all flagging as fine.

Although I’ve not started to get lots of file conflicts, had a couple to start with but not seems to be a whole load of them (I’ve powered off the WHS to be safe until I have a a fix to attempt).

Last thing of interest is that if I reboot the WHS the file accessing seems to be fine for about 10 mins and then after that it’s grinds to a crawl.

Very concerned at the moment as I have 2.5Tb of data on this box which I can’t even backup to do a full rebuild of the WHS. So any ideas on what this could be ?

Thanks
    Andy

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:54 AM

All replies

• Did you change any settings for your network (in another thread I did read about somebody experimenting with Jumbo frames, which caused a similar behavior).
    Try also to reset the router (and if necessary the switch) and get the latest firmware for the router, if it is not yet applied.
    Check also the network cables.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Have you tried running chkdsk on your drives? It's possible that you have a drive that's failing...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:27 PM
  • My router is a netgear dg834Gv2

Was running firmware V3.01.25, now upgraded to 3.01.38 but no difference.

I did run a chkdsk before on d: but no issues found, but using the following script:-

chkdsk /x /r
    for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1

It's found many 'File record segment xxxx is unreadable' errors on one drive/device (1 out of 3 ran) although output does not show where they are found.

Duff drive?

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Yes, I'd say "duff drive". :)

As for how to deal with it, if you have duplication on for all your shares, you shouldn't lose any data when you replace the drive. (Otherwise you might.) You'll need to identify the failing drive in the console and remove it, then replace the failing hardware with a new drive and add that to server storage using the console.

To identify the drive in the console, you can simply look at how much data there is in the folder under C:\FS that showed all the errors. Each of those folders is actually an NTFS mount point for one of the secondary drives in your storage pool. Then find the drive in the console that shows the same amount of storage used. Or if you have the Disk Management add-in by Sam Wood installed you can probably identify the drive there as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Oh dear not looking good, seeing as it looked like a failed drive I ordered myself a replacement which turned up at the weekend. In the meantime I've had the WHS powered off to avoid anymore corruption.

This evening I turned it on again to prepare for replacing the drive and now it won't boot, I get the following squence when powering on:-

1) Health status LED purple
    2) Flashes blue then red 5 times (b,r,b,r,b,r,b,r,b,r not b,r,r,r,r,r)
    3) Flashes blue several more times
    4) Auto reboots and repeats

Any ideas?

Really not impressed at the moment, also if I can't get this up and running can the individual drives be hooked up to a different computer to recover  data?

Thanks.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Anyone??? :(

I now have a real need to access some data I had on my WHS. Unless anyone else has any advice I'm going to attempt a Recovery this evening to see if I can get it back on the network.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Anyone??? :(

I now have a real need to access some data I had on my WHS. Unless anyone else has any advice I'm going to attempt a Recovery this evening to see if I can get it back on the network.

Thanks.

The HP health indicator codes do not indicate this as an error. If the system drive is purple then I would say that is why the system is behaving in this manner. The system drive needs to be replaced.

It is also possible that you have another drive in the case that it preventing the system from coming online. If you know which drive in the tower is bad, you will have to pull it and perform a missing drive removal via the console after the system comes back up. You will lose the backup database when this happens. If you do not know which drive is bad, you can do a trial and error method of determing the bad drive by removing drives and powering up the server. Once the bad drive is out of the tower, the server should come online.

You can also contact HP support since this is an HP MediaSmart. They may have more insight into the health indicator codes. Those are HP specific.

Your data is accessible on the drives under the \DE folders on the drives providing the drives are readable. The drive that is "bad" may have problems but if you had duplication turned on, you should be fine. The \DE folders are hidden so you may have to turn on "show hidden files and folders" on the client machine when you attempt to access the drives.

Thanks.

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Oh dear not looking good, seeing as it looked like a failed drive I ordered myself a replacement which turned up at the weekend. In the meantime I've had the WHS powered off to avoid anymore corruption.

This evening I turned it on again to prepare for replacing the drive and now it won't boot, I get the following squence when powering on:-

1) Health status LED purple
    2) Flashes blue then red 5 times (b,r,b,r,b,r,b,r,b,r not b,r,r,r,r,r)
    3) Flashes blue several more times
    4) Auto reboots and repeats

Any ideas?

Really not impressed at the moment, also if I can't get this up and running can the individual drives be hooked up to a different computer to recover  data?

Thanks.

Hi,

Please check the HP EX47x user's guide?

Your server starts out normal: when powering up the health indicator is purple (blue+red), then starts flashing blue-red, indicating it is waiting for the recovery button to be pressed (page 7-11). If it is not pressed the server starts booting (flashing blue)...
    In your case however the boot fase then fails?

As Lara indicated earlier, if the the hard drive light-bar is purple this indicates a hard drive was removed (or has failed?) or added but not in the storage pool (page 7-3). If the the hard drive light-bar is red the drive is eigther failing or removed. From your post I read that your server does not even gets to showing the drive lights?

I am not sure what to make of this. Could be it is the system drive that is problematic or more likely one of the other drives is taking the system down. I would go about  as Lare sugested: take out the drive-bays one at the time until the system stops rebooting and shows the drive lights?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:15 PM
  • All very odd, tested booting with each drive removed one by one and then with all data drives removed leaving just the system drive. Still the same light sequence (which now confirmed as standard bootup). Also tried removing the system drive, same again.

And throughout this the hard drive light-bar hasn't light up at all other than if I hold the power button down to do  force power off.

Will attempt a recovery next, lets see what that brings.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:02 PM
  • About to throw this damm thing in the bin!

Started recovery from my main PC
    Identifies WHS and starts the recovery process
    All reports well then attempts to install the connector software
    Fails as my main machine is x64
    Run the connector software on a x32 machine (my laptop)
    Fails as it can't find the WHS
    So start recovery again on my laptop
    Finds WHS and starts
    Fails with unknown error

Come on, how complicated can this get?!?

Really not happy at the mo. :(

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:37 PM
  • About to throw this damm thing in the bin!

Started recovery from my main PC
    Identifies WHS and starts the recovery process
    All reports well then attempts to install the connector software
    Fails as my main machine is x64
    Run the connector software on a x32 machine (my laptop)
    Fails as it can't find the WHS
    So start recovery again on my laptop
    Finds WHS and starts
    Fails with unknown error

Come on, how complicated can this get?!?

Really not happy at the mo. :(

I would contact HP. Based on the description above and the failed recovery it certainly sounds like the system drive is the bad HDD but you might want to check with HP.

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Attempted a recovery again from my laptop, this time it completed successfully then went on to install the connector software, at this point it failed to find the WHS.

Considering the call to HP but not looking forward to having them run me through all the standard checks/procedures that I've already gone through.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Now attempted multiple restorations using both the original system drive and a brand new replacement.

When powering up the WHS and initiating the restoration process (paperclip in the front) it appears on the network (via my routers connected devices) with a reset name, the recovery software finds the server with no problem, completes the build but then when the connector tries to attach it can't find it (nor can I see it on the network).

All becoming VERY frustrating.

Monday, May 4, 2009 4:00 PM

• Hi all,

I’m having problems with my WHS which I’m hoping someone here may be able to assist with. I have a HP ex470 that I’ve been using without issue for just under two years now. At the weekend I found that my media centre PC was having problems streaming video from it (wireless network accessing the files directly from a shared folder on the WHS), video was very jerky/unwatchable.

I then checked from a wired device and had the same problem. Attempted to access the WHS console and this also failed. RDP session to the WHS found that there was a problem with .Net (not sure if it was a failed update) but .Net 2 was corrupt preventing the console app from work.

Followed a couple of online guides and I believe I’ve got .Net re-installed and fixed (Console working and no more errors in the event log).  Thing is the problem with accessing files is still present with no errors in the event log indicating what it is. Also none of the four drives in stalled are reporting any fault and I’ve chkdsked the drives and all flagging as fine.

Although I’ve not started to get lots of file conflicts, had a couple to start with but not seems to be a whole load of them (I’ve powered off the WHS to be safe until I have a a fix to attempt).

Last thing of interest is that if I reboot the WHS the file accessing seems to be fine for about 10 mins and then after that it’s grinds to a crawl.

Very concerned at the moment as I have 2.5Tb of data on this box which I can’t even backup to do a full rebuild of the WHS. So any ideas on what this could be ?

Thanks
    Andy

Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:40 PM