OCS Federation Issue - Can send messages only one way RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very odd issue in that I can send messages from my user ID to an external federated partner (my development lab) using auto federation.  I can send as many messages as I like, and the test user receives all of them.

I have edge servers for each domain, and they are set up properly (as far as I can tell.)  The primary system has been running for quite some time without issues, both internally and externally.  The test lab is new but I am able to send messages internally just fine.

However, If I try to initiate a message from a test user in my development lab to myself (the federated contact), the message pops up (on my primary ID), but when I click on it, a new conversation window opens with nothing in it.  Additionally, the test user gets a "The following message was not delivered to <Username>" "ID:504" error message, which is linked to "http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview.aspx?AssetID=HA102193741033&ns=COMM2007&lcid=1033"

Obviously the two edge servers trust each others certificates, and I can see proper presence information from my user ID to my test ID in the test lab.

I have run traces with nothing that I can see that is an error, as well as checked SRV records (which were obviously OK).  I can also telnet to port 5061 on each edge server successfully.

Has anyone run into this issue?
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 8:35 PM

All replies

•  

Having the same problem. Did you have any luck resolving your issue?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:10 PM
  • How did you configure the federation?

Is it automatic configuration on the EDGE Server?

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:33 PM
  • If you are getting 504 errors in only one direction that most likely is related to network connectivity.  Verify that all traffic is correctly routed to the proper ports in both directions on all firewalls between the Edge servers.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:19 PM
  • I was having 504 and 1009 both ways. Turned out to be a DNS misconfiguration for the federation SRV record. Works beautifully now. Trying to make branding to work for the icon...

Wish me luck Smile

Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:07 PM
  • I think you'll need more than luck.  From what I understand the 'icon branding' feature

from LCS was removed in OCS.  In LCS our Federation with Microsoft used to show the Office icon, but in OCS those contacts look the same as all federated contacts now: the globe icon.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Just by following the instructions I was unable to make it work, even though the image was put on HTTPS site.

It's odd that nice little features like this are being removed going to the newer version of the product.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Did you ever find an answer to this?  We are having the exact same problem when we federate with one partner on the internet, but not with 3 other partners.  Only difference is we are not doing auto federation.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:46 PM