Windows Home Server Connector Setup: An Error occurred RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully installed WHS Connector on three XP systems, but I am having a problem on the fourth system.

When I attempt to install the WHS Connector at the Log On to Your Windows Home Server, I enter my Home Server password and then  I get a dialog box with "An Error Occurred", "This operation cannot be completed at the time." 

My other three XP (2 pro, 1 home) systems are connecting and backing up on WHS with no problem.

I've looked at several people who have reported this. This is the 4th computer to run the connector software.
    1. It's not the date/time issue (Not February 29th), I've checked all updates.  
    2. It's not WHS, as it works for all other computers tried.
    3. The computer that gives the error does the same with the firewall down.
    4. I can ping the whs ip address from all 4 computers.  (And whs can ping all of them.)
    5. I've looked at services.msc and there is nothing disabled on the problem computer that is not also disabled on the others that work.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tom

I had previously asked for a checklist of things to check on computers to make sure connectivity can be achieved. (Services needed, network settings required, etc.)  Nada.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,
    Remote Desktop client is available on each client PC with Windows XP or Vista in Start/Programs/Accessories (or a submenu of this).
    Also, could you post the output of the command
    ipconfig /all
    on both the client and the server to see, if there is any misconfiguration in that area?
    I don't think that a different drive letter plays a role here, although I have no system with multiple drive letters for testing any more.
    In the clients event log, are there errors/warnings around the time, in which the computer is starting?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by TomZork Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:33 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Olaf,

I know what Remote Desktop client IS, that is why I wrote above - "It is evil <g>"

And Olaf,  I would no more run Remote Desktop client, or post my ipconfig output here, any more than I would allow young children to wander naked downtown after the bars close.  (Some people might think it safe - but I say - nuts!) 

That said, I did see something unusual on the problem computer's ipconfig /all.  It said: Netbios over Tcpip disabled." None of the others had that.

So in network connection properties, I checked to install Netbios and closed network properties.  Then I reopened network properties and changed to default settings on the tcpip/advanced/wins tab  and closed network properties.  Then I reopened network properties and unchecked Netbios and closed again.  (Was all the open and close needed? Maybe not - but I wasn't taking any chances.)

Ran the WHS CI#2 and it works!

So whoever wants to keep a list of error messages and solutions:
    Error installing connector: "An Error Occurred", "This operation cannot be completed at the time." 
    Look at Ipconfig /all to see if it says "Netbios over Tcpip disabled."
    If so, go to advance properties of the TCPIP settings, the WINS tab and change to default from disable.
    (Whether NetBios has to be checked when this is done to fix it is for the next person to find out!)

Thanks,
    Tom

Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Tom,
    please take a look into the event log of the client. Look especially for errors and warnings (i.e. COM+).
    Are both machines (the client and the server) in the same subnet (same IP address range) and both connected to the same switch/router?
    Do date and time zone match on client and server?
    Can you connect from the client in question via Remote Desktop Client?
    From where do you try to install the Connector software? (From http://server:55000, from \\server\software\home server connector software or from the CD?) The last method (CD) is only good for the initial installation before the server has been updated.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Event log of the client - no errors or warnings.

2. Both machines are the same subnet and connected to same switch.

3. Time zone, time and date match on client and server.

4. I do not have Remote desktop installed anywhere. Never used it, don't want it installed. (It is evil <g>)

5. I had tried to install from the CD that come with the WHS package. (WHS CI#1)

I tried again to install from the \\server\software\home server connector software   that I put on a CD. (WHS CI#2)  Same error.

(Since you might have been implying that the cd that came with the package might have corrupted the client, I restored the client back to a January image and tried the connector software from the WHS CI#2.   Same error.

Further info:

6. I successfully installed using WHS CI#1 on computer #5 (XP Pro)  and it installed fine.  So your statement about the disk coming with the package not working may have been fixed with recent shipments of WHS OEM package or there is something else.

7. I successfully installed WHS CI#2 on computer #6 (Vista Home Ult) and it installed fine.  (I have no image program for Vista, so didn't risk using (WHS CI#1)

So I am back to the problem XP pro computer.  The only thing I can think that is different about that computer is that the system (windows) drive is not the typical "C", it is drive "H".

Thanks,
    Tom

Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Hi Tom,
    Remote Desktop client is available on each client PC with Windows XP or Vista in Start/Programs/Accessories (or a submenu of this).
    Also, could you post the output of the command
    ipconfig /all
    on both the client and the server to see, if there is any misconfiguration in that area?
    I don't think that a different drive letter plays a role here, although I have no system with multiple drive letters for testing any more.
    In the clients event log, are there errors/warnings around the time, in which the computer is starting?
    Olaf
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Olaf,

I know what Remote Desktop client IS, that is why I wrote above - "It is evil <g>"

And Olaf,  I would no more run Remote Desktop client, or post my ipconfig output here, any more than I would allow young children to wander naked downtown after the bars close.  (Some people might think it safe - but I say - nuts!) 

That said, I did see something unusual on the problem computer's ipconfig /all.  It said: Netbios over Tcpip disabled." None of the others had that.

So in network connection properties, I checked to install Netbios and closed network properties.  Then I reopened network properties and changed to default settings on the tcpip/advanced/wins tab  and closed network properties.  Then I reopened network properties and unchecked Netbios and closed again.  (Was all the open and close needed? Maybe not - but I wasn't taking any chances.)

Ran the WHS CI#2 and it works!

So whoever wants to keep a list of error messages and solutions:
    Error installing connector: "An Error Occurred", "This operation cannot be completed at the time." 
    Look at Ipconfig /all to see if it says "Netbios over Tcpip disabled."
    If so, go to advance properties of the TCPIP settings, the WINS tab and change to default from disable.
    (Whether NetBios has to be checked when this is done to fix it is for the next person to find out!)

Thanks,
    Tom

Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:14 PM