Adaptec 29320 Ultra Scsi with hostraid enabled. RRS feed

• Question

• I know most people wont be using this for a home setup. But there is a bug in the setup program. I was able to add the drivers during the graphical part of setup. Setup formatted my drives, and asked me If I wanted to keep the driver for the text setup. I chose yes. Now come text setup, the driver isnt found, and setup bsod. I could insert it via a floppy but on this machine I dont have a floppy. I used my usb key during the graphical setup.

Ken Dippold

Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:35 PM

Answers

• You will need to have the drivers for a controller on a floppy during the "text install" for drivers to be installed.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:15 PM

All replies

• You will need to have the drivers for a controller on a floppy during the "text install" for drivers to be installed.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Joel,

I know thats what I need to do, but the graphic setup said do you want to keep them for the text install. Just a pita to have to install drivers 2x. The install should keep them for the text setup. no big deal I can dig out a floppy drive somewhere. :)

Ken

Monday, February 19, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Yes, I understand.  It's the combination of different components that make this happen (e.g. WinPE, Windows Server 2003).  I have myself, setup a Windows Home Server that also needed drivers installed for the controller by floppy, even when loaded during the "graphical interface".
    Monday, February 19, 2007 3:15 AM
  • I bugged it anyways :) Do you know if this is just a beta2 issue that will be fixed in later builds?

Ken

Monday, February 19, 2007 3:23 AM
  • Got the same issue on the same card.

I decided to switch to an old computer to test WHS as I ... don't have any floppy drive here :(

Would it be possible to add the driver directly in the build for release ?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:23 PM
  • The only driver I am aware of that can be injected through the "graphical interface" (which is called WinPE) is the Network Interface Card's driver (NIC).  The storage controller driver is not carried over into the second portion of the install "text" portion which is Windows Server 2003 install.  WinPE doesn't pass the storage controller driver to Windows Server 2003 install faze.  Windows Server 2003 (text install) requires a floppy drive with the storage controller drivers in the root of the floppy disk (Not in a folder called Drivers like WinPE needs for the NIC drivers).  This is then autoscanned for drivers and installed into Windows Home Server portion of the installed.

This most likely will not be resolved in version 1.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:33 PM