none
Excel Workbook diagnostic failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I recently installed and configured a HPC 2008 R2 Cluster and I want to use it for UDF and workbook excel calculations, When I ran the excel diagnostics all the UDF diags passed well but the excel workbook configuration test failed on 4 of my 6 computenodes with the error:" Failure Launch Excel Application ExcelDriver failed to launch Excel process". All the computesnodes have the same configuration, patch level, excel version, etc. Any ideas? Your help will greatly appreciated.

Ruben Mendoza

Friday, March 4, 2011 3:01 AM

All replies

• Far from an answer - but can you try reinstalling the HPC pack on one of the compute nodes, re-adding the compute node to the cluster and seeing if that fixes the issue - my guess is that the driver for Excel did not install properly.

Cheers,

-Christian

Saturday, March 5, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hi Ruben,

The "Failure to Launch Excel Application" message implies that Excel may not be installed on the failing nodes. Did you install Excel 2010 x64 on all your compute nodes? Workbook offloading requires Excel on all the compute nodes while UDF offloading only requires Excel on the client, so the diagnostic results you're seeing would make sense if that is the problem.

The other items I would verify are whether the enterprise edition of the HPC pack was installed on all nodes and whether Excel can be run manually.

Lastly, if the above items all check out, you could write a quick C# program using the ExcelDriver API directly and try to run it on one of the failing nodes, which should give you more detailed exception information about whether the error is rooted in loading assemblies, finding the Excel executable, or something else. You can find API documentation for ExcelDriver here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.hpc.excel.exceldriver(v=VS.85).aspx And a link to the SDK download here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=bc671b22-f158-4a5f-828b-7a374b881172

Jeremy

Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:00 AM