Clean Install on HP MediaSmart Server RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm planning ahead for my HP MediaSmart Server (ex470) - which I will order the absolute instant it's available.

I like that HP's package has what I believe are the core elements of a very good Windows Home Server:
       - minimalist design
       - easy hard drive expandability
       - Gigabit networking.

What I *don't like* is the clutter and complexity of iTunes, HP's photo software, and the few other software doodads likely to ship on this thing.
        - http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/447351-0-0-225-121.html

When the Server arrives, I want to immediately perform a clean install of WHS. But, since it's completely headless with no optical drive, I have no clue how to do this.

Any ideas?

---
    Background:

I plan to migrate to the HP MediaSmart Server from my current test system (HP Slimline PC, 80 GB internal, 2 500 GB MyBooks, RTM of WHS)

I'm using WHS to back up a Vista machine and duplicate shared folders.

Also, I've put the latest version of Windows Media Connect on this system by installing Windows Media Player 11 using the instructions here:
        - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1808436&SiteID=50

With WMP 11 and the embedded Media Connect software, I'm successfully:
     - streaming pictures to a Momento picture frame
     - streaming music to the Vista box and a Roku Soundbridge
     - sharing pictures, music, and videos to a Windows Media Center "server" - which I connect to from an Xbox 360 as an extender (accessing Recorded TV from the WMC)

Friday, November 2, 2007 9:17 PM

Answers

• Dave, I can't tell you how the HP unit will work specifically, but I would be surprised if there were a way to achieve a "clean" installation on one. Doing so would require unaltered WHS installation media, which HP isn't likely to supply. Instead I expect they will supply OEM recovery media which includes all the additional software that you've said you don't want. And it would require the ability to connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the unit to do the install, which HP is even less likely to supply.

To learn more about the process you would go through, you could read the documentation on the OPK CD, if you received one in your package (apparently not all OEM kits contain an OPK CD).
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:19 AM
  • I had the opportunity this week to chat with HP about the new Mediasmart Home Server, and I specifically asked the question about trialware. They assured me that aside from the HP add-ins, there is no trialware/bloatware in box on the server - it ships a lot cleaner than you'll see with a standard desktop....

Terry

Saturday, November 3, 2007 6:19 AM

All replies

• Dave

I think it will be difficult to say with 100% certainty given the hardware isnt out just yet and people havent had a chance to really play with it.

I think your best option, and this is just a guess, is to RDP to the machine and just uninstall all the HP stuff and additional software you dont want.

Andrew

Friday, November 2, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Instructions specific to HP's MediaSmart server will be available with the product, nothing can really be said about an unreleased product.

Friday, November 2, 2007 10:49 PM
  •  

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I guess I'm just excited and jumping the gun.

I'm hoping for a clean install as opposed to uninstalling the junk. Not sure I could explain why - just "feels" better.

After reading Ken's response here...

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2130844&SiteID=50

... I was hoping someone who knew more about HP's recovery methodologies and general WHS server reinstallation procedures might be able to triangulate in on a potential answer - like a network or bootable USB install???

Guess I'll have just have to be patient and wait until somebody actually gets their hands on one of these things...

Friday, November 2, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Dave, I can't tell you how the HP unit will work specifically, but I would be surprised if there were a way to achieve a "clean" installation on one. Doing so would require unaltered WHS installation media, which HP isn't likely to supply. Instead I expect they will supply OEM recovery media which includes all the additional software that you've said you don't want. And it would require the ability to connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the unit to do the install, which HP is even less likely to supply.

To learn more about the process you would go through, you could read the documentation on the OPK CD, if you received one in your package (apparently not all OEM kits contain an OPK CD).
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:19 AM
  • I had the opportunity this week to chat with HP about the new Mediasmart Home Server, and I specifically asked the question about trialware. They assured me that aside from the HP add-ins, there is no trialware/bloatware in box on the server - it ships a lot cleaner than you'll see with a standard desktop....

Terry

Saturday, November 3, 2007 6:19 AM
  • Thanks for the answers. Just pre-ordered from Amazon, so if figure anything out I'll post it here.

Monday, November 5, 2007 6:19 PM
  • I have the HO MediaSmart server... its really good my transfer write is 50MB/sec on a giglan but my reads are 6MB/sec max... trying to figure it out.

When i Remote Desktop into the WHS i see FireFly installed, Windows Desktop Search, PostGreSQL and HP MediaSmartServer...

I uninstalled all these, its definitly a lot more responsive now... however it doesnt fix my transfer issue and now the LED's dont work.

I too wish there is a way to perform a clean install... I wonder if one was to open the WHS box if one could find a VGA connector ?

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:45 PM
  • I received my first EX470 early this week and pulled out the 500gb drive and replaced it with a 1TB WD model.  The HP comes with a server restore disk and that is what I used to put the operating system on the new drive.  It is an automated process with only 2 options that I saw.  From memory, I don't remember an option to select components but that doesn't say there isn't something else buried on the disk.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:52 PM
  •  Alexander K wrote:

I have the HO MediaSmart server... its really good my transfer write is 50MB/sec on a giglan but my reads are 6MB/sec max... trying to figure it out.

When i Remote Desktop into the WHS i see FireFly installed, Windows Desktop Search, PostGreSQL and HP MediaSmartServer...

I uninstalled all these, its definitly a lot more responsive now... however it doesnt fix my transfer issue and now the LED's dont work.

I too wish there is a way to perform a clean install... I wonder if one was to open the WHS box if one could find a VGA connector ?

There is no way to do a "clean install" of WHS on HP (unless you buy a separate OEM WHS license).  You can do a Factory Recovery or Factory Reset, but those will include all of the HP add-ins (i.e. FireFly) in addition to WHS.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:14 PM
  • Update: 

For the last week i was fighting for hours with my HP MediaSmart Server EX470...

I have tried many things, formatted & re-installed many times...

Ultimately, i have carefully opened this box up and replaced the single sided generic Hynix DDR2 512 Ram Module with a higher end 1GB DDR2. (Note this may void your warranty and its not that easy to open this box up, msg me for instructions)

THE DIFFERENCE IS NIGHT AND DAY! no joke! Now i can browse using the Windows Home Server Console... no more lag...whereas before when Balancing Storage if i were to click on say User Accounts it could take up to 7-10 seconds to render almost like a website couple of images at a time lol.... IT IS SO MUCH FASTER! - i think perhaps HP bloated this box a little bit with the Itunes, Assistant, and Photo Webshare etc... also when remote desk toping into the box is saw the Windows Live Desktop Search and POSTGRE SQL installed - anyone know why??

I still however, have the problem with my WRITE being really fast 25MB/sec to 50MB/sec but my reads are still really slow about 6MB/sec.

Friday, November 23, 2007 12:29 AM
  •  Dodad wrote:
    I received my first EX470 early this week and pulled out the 500gb drive and replaced it with a 1TB WD model.  The HP comes with a server restore disk and that is what I used to put the operating system on the new drive.  It is an automated process with only 2 options that I saw.  From memory, I don't remember an option to select components but that doesn't say there isn't something else buried on the disk.

Dodad,

How did you manage to get the restore started?

I did the same thing as you.  Just received my EX470 today, and didn't even bother to fire it up.  I just swapped the original 500-GB hard disk with a new 1-GB drive, and now I'm trying to do a system restore from the DVD.

Problem is, when I power on the EX470, the power LED doesn't blink blue & red (as mentioned in the instructions).  i.e. I'm supposed to power on the unit, wait for the LED to alternate blue & red, and then press the Reset button.

Well, the power LED remains a steady blue, and the 4 hard drive LEDs remain a steady red.

I fired up the HP MediaSmart Server Recovery Disc anyway, but it keeps failing to find the server.

Now, I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but the 1-TB drive that I'm trying to install the HP recovery onto used to be used for my OEM installation. I had a working OEM WHS installation for the last couple of months, and now I've installed that hard drive ino my new EX470, and want to make it my EX470's system disk.

And before you ask, yes I'm using a wired connection .  The laptop I'm using for the restore from, it's been connected fine to my OEM installation for the past coupla months, so I know the conections are fine.  And as per the instructions, I'm also uninstalled the WHS Connector software from the lapop.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:48 PM