Cannot access WHS share - You do not have the permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Win7 RTM on my home computers and restricted securiyt on my WHS document share at the same time. Now I cannot access the files in the share. I have tried reopening up the security so everyone can access it and I still cannot get to any shares where I restricted access at one point in time. 

How do I reset the permissions for them to work and allow me to get to my important documents on my WHS?

Thanks in advance for any help. 
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 12:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the response. I have been able to fix the issue on my Home Server.

As background, I moved the files on my home server from "First Last" name user share to my "First" name user share (this only took 2 seconds). Then I deleted my "First Last" user profile. At this point I could not access any files on the "First" share. I tried creating a new "First Last" user profile and share, logged in on my computer under this profile and still could not access the folders when i copied them to "First Last" or "First".

To fix the issue, I had to login to my computer under a profiel that is not on my home server, login to the "First Last" user share as "administrator". I could then copy the files to my local computer. After they copied over to my local computer, i copied them to my "First" user share.  I can now acess all of my files successfully and have shut down my "First Last" user profile after several days of troubleshooting and a day of coyping files back and forth.

Note to product team: I wish the product could manage permissions better when copying files between user profile shares. This would have saved me several days of downtime and troubleshooting.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I installed Win7 RTM on my home computers and restricted securiyt on my WHS document share at the same time. Now I cannot access the files in the share. I have tried reopening up the security so everyone can access it and I still cannot get to any shares where I restricted access at one point in time. 

How do I reset the permissions for them to work and allow me to get to my important documents on my WHS?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

It sounds like your logon name (not the user name) doesn't match the logon name on the server.  See the FAQ post: How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested to see if it helps.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the response. I have been able to fix the issue on my Home Server.

As background, I moved the files on my home server from "First Last" name user share to my "First" name user share (this only took 2 seconds). Then I deleted my "First Last" user profile. At this point I could not access any files on the "First" share. I tried creating a new "First Last" user profile and share, logged in on my computer under this profile and still could not access the folders when i copied them to "First Last" or "First".

To fix the issue, I had to login to my computer under a profiel that is not on my home server, login to the "First Last" user share as "administrator". I could then copy the files to my local computer. After they copied over to my local computer, i copied them to my "First" user share.  I can now acess all of my files successfully and have shut down my "First Last" user profile after several days of troubleshooting and a day of coyping files back and forth.

Note to product team: I wish the product could manage permissions better when copying files between user profile shares. This would have saved me several days of downtime and troubleshooting.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:27 PM
    As background, I moved the files on my home server from "First Last" name user share to my "First" name user share (this only took 2 seconds).
    I assume from this that you were logged in to your server and moved the files that you found in D:\Shares\Users\<username>? If so, you need to know that direct interaction with the server desktop is unsupported. For file manipulation you should only access files through the shares. If you are logged in to the server desktop, there is an icon on the desktop that will let you access the shares safely. Direct access to any folder you find on your D: drive in a default installation of Windows Home Server may be risky.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks.
    You can copy between user profiles as long as the user account you have used to connect to the server has permissions (set through the Console) to both user profile folders.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:25 AM
  • I have a similar problem that I could use a hand with.  I'm brand new to WHS, so I'm still trying to figure this stuff out.

My problem is that I created a new share through the "Windows Home Server Console".  Let's call it "MyShare".  I set my user account as "Full".

The share shows up in the server's shared folders, but when I try to access it from my Win7 PC (where I can access ALL of the other shares), it says I do not have permissions to access this folder.  I should state that I updated the WHS server to Power Pack 3 Beta last night, and then created the new share this morning.

In trying to troubleshoot this, I RDP'ed to the server as Administrator and browsed to the "D:\shares" folder.  I noticed the little hand icon that denotes sharing was not displaying on this new folder, but looking at the folder properties showed it as being shared, and the appropriate accounts had the correct permissions.  Next, I looked at the folder security properties and noted the groups that have permissions, then looked at the members of those groups on the server.  The correct user accounts were members of the appropriate groups.  After reviewing this, I closed the properties and hit F5 in the D:\shares folder to refresh the view (mind you, I never made changes, just viewed and canceled the properties) and the little hand icon holding the folder was now present.  However, I still cannot access this share from any of the PCs on my network or as the other user that I gave access too (other than the "Administrator" account).

I know that messing with the security and settings outside of the "Windows Home Server Console" is not supported, so I'm wondering what's left to try??

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.  Call me stumped.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Try logging off, and back on, one of your PCs.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:48 PM
  • I did not logoff and back on, but I removed two of my smaller drives properly from my server through the WHS Console (I want to replace them with MUCH larger drives) and now I can access the share.  I did nothing other than this.  So I'm thinking perhaps it was creating the share on one of those two drives and there was an issue with it?  Doesn't make much sense, but I can get to the share now and am happy. ;-)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:33 AM
  • I don’t know if you have the same problem as I experienced, but it might be worthwhile to try the following.

I have experienced that I could not access a network disk from a Win 7RC computer. I got  an error message saying  "The account is not authorized to login from this station”. I searched the internet and tried several advices regarding checking that the security permissions on my PC were correct.

Nothing helped, until I finally found an advice to uninstall the “Windows Live ID login Assistant” program. I unistalled the program and my problem was solved :-)

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:41 AM
  • You have an unfortunate screen name. :)

As I recall (I can't check at the moment), when you remove a drive Windows Home Server disables the shares briefly then re-enables them. When this happens, any credentials cached locally will be invalidated. This is what would happen if you logged off and back on a client PC, so (in effect) you achieved the same result...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:53 PM
  • "I RDP'ed to the server as Administrator and browsed to the "D:\shares" folder.  I noticed the little hand icon that denotes sharing was not displaying on this new folder, but looking at the folder properties showed it as being shared, and the appropriate accounts had the correct permissions.  Next, I looked at the folder security properties and noted the groups that have permissions, then looked at the members of those groups on the server.  The correct user accounts were members of the appropriate groups."

You're almost there, just one more step to enable Shared Folder Read/Write access to a particular User or Group. Each folder in the D:\shares folder has a right-click menu which provides a "Sharing and Security..." command. This opens a dialog that allows "Share this folder" and provides a Permissions button. Click that button and you will get a dialog that allows you to assign access rights to individual User accounts and Groups. Highlight a particular User account and you can grant Read and Write access to the account. If the Write box is not checked in this dialog, none of the higher level folder permissions dialogs will be able to grant write access to the account (regardless of what their dialog boxes may indicate).
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:27 PM
    Each folder in the D:\shares folder has a right-click menu which provides a "Sharing and Security..." command.
    Please don't manage security on Windows Home Server in this fashion. If you do, you are working against Windows Home Server itself, which manages all permissions on the shares through the Windows Home Server console.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:31 PM
  • "Please don't manage security on Windows Home Server in this fashion."

While I'd prefer to administer the WHS box solely through the Console, what I found is that the Permissions dialogs accessible to the WHS Console do not accurately report the deeper layers of Shared Folder permissions that must be enabled in order for the higher level permissions dialogs to grant access rights. There appear to be at least three layers of permissions on the WHS box, and the only way I've found to access these deeply buried permissions dialogs is via Remote Acces to the WHS box desktop. The WHS Console appears to have access only to the highest (i.e. most subordinate) level of permissions dialogs.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:50 PM
  • "Please don't manage security on Windows Home Server in this fashion."

While I'd prefer to administer the WHS box solely through the Console, what I found is that the Permissions dialogs accessible to the WHS Console do not accurately report the deeper layers of Shared Folder permissions that must be enabled in order for the higher level permissions dialogs to grant access rights.

Then something is wrong with your installation.  Once a user is granted access to a share through the Console, that same permission should propogate all the way down to the subfolders (and files contained in those folders as well).

There appear to be at least three layers of permissions on the WHS box, and the only way I've found to access these deeply buried permissions dialogs is via Remote Acces to the WHS box desktop. The WHS Console appears to have access only to the highest (i.e. most subordinate) level of permissions dialogs.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:22 PM
  • "Then something is wrong with your installation.  Once a user is granted access to a share through the Console, that same permission should propogate all the way down to the subfolders (and files contained in those folders as well)."

Actually, what I found was that not even the Shared Folders folder found on the WHS Desktop is able to propogate its folder permission settings down to the deepest layer of Shared Folder permissions. The permission dialogs it provides appear to be subordinate to the permissions granted via the "Sharing and Security..." dialogs provided by the D:\shares folders. The "Sharing and Security..." context menu command is not accessible from within the Shared Folders folder.

As you point out, permissions do get propagated down through a Shared Folder's subfolder hierarchy. But this is a different mechanism than the multiple layers of permission dialogs that appear to control access to each Shared Folder.
    • Edited by lpowell Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:18 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Actually, what I found was that not even the Shared Folders folder found on the WHS Desktop is able to propogate its folder permission settings down to the deepest layer of Shared Folder permissions.  The permission dialogs it provides appear to be subordinate to the permissions granted via the "Sharing and Security..." dialogs provided by the D:\shares folders. The "Sharing and Security..." context menu command is not accessible from within the Shared Folders folder.
    That doesn't matter.  If you have to logon to the server desktop to change any permissions, your install is broken.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:11 PM
  • It's an original OEM installation of WHS, I haven't even upgraded it with a WHS Power Pack. It's been working reliably for six months 24/7. None of the server logs have reported any security conflicts or file system errors and I have no tangible evidence of any system malfunctions. No third party tools installed either - the administration tools provided the WHS have proved to be perfectly adequate.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:37 PM