CRM Redeployment and Data Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Although I currently have a CRM 4.0 environment in place I am migrating this to new a new virtual set up prior to a live rollout of CRM 2011 when RTW is released in March (fingers crossed).

As part of this exercise I am planning on re-building the existing CRM 4.0 organisation from scratch as it includes a number of "non-supported" customisations and database hacks that may cause me an issue when we eventually upgrade to CRM 2011. I am also keen to tidy up the customisations and cleanse the data at the same time.

I was therefore planning to build the new organisation on the new server and import only the data I wanted to keep from the old server to the new one.

In theory this sounds fine however to ensure I retain all entity relationships (Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, Quotes and activities etc.) to be honest I am not 100% on how to achieve this.

Can this be done using the Data Migration Manager or does anyone else have any experience or ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Friday, November 12, 2010 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick,

Yes, exporting the records from the old system and save them as csv files for import to the new system.  Have a look at this video by John O'Donnel on Channel 9 that shows how to import multiple related files using the DMM.

The challenge you might run into since you are not importing the Organization to the new install is that you will lose any entity customization you have in the old system.  You'll want to keep this in mind when you choose the data records that you want to import into the new system.  You won't be able to import any 'custom' entity data records that exist in the old system unless you either export the entity from the old system and import that entity (not the records related to the entity but the actual entity itself) into the new system or create the entity in the new system.  I'll assume you don't want to export the custom entity from the old system and import it into the new system as there might be 'hacks' or unsupported changes. 

Regards, Donna

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:53 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 5:38 PM

All replies

• You can do a clean install of the CRM server in your new environment.  Then export your Customizations from the old server to the new environment, Settings, Customization, Export Customizations.  This will ensure you get all the entities with relationships from your old system to your new.  You can then export any records you want from the CRM and import them using the Data Migration Manager.

Regards, Donna

Friday, November 12, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Thank you for your reply however to clarify .....

1. I assume when you state export you mean to CSV as I cannot pump data directly from DB to DB without using a third party product like Scribe?
    2. If for example I export Account, Contact, Opportunity, Quote, Order and all asscoiated Activities for specific records if I then import these via the Data Migration Manager will it automatically link them back up?

I haven`t used the Migration Manager yet as all my imports have been via the Data Import tool and therefore I think I need to research and test this further.

I did cover it on the exam track but that seems years ago now .... !

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Yes, exporting the records from the old system and save them as csv files for import to the new system.  Have a look at this video by John O'Donnel on Channel 9 that shows how to import multiple related files using the DMM.

The challenge you might run into since you are not importing the Organization to the new install is that you will lose any entity customization you have in the old system.  You'll want to keep this in mind when you choose the data records that you want to import into the new system.  You won't be able to import any 'custom' entity data records that exist in the old system unless you either export the entity from the old system and import that entity (not the records related to the entity but the actual entity itself) into the new system or create the entity in the new system.  I'll assume you don't want to export the custom entity from the old system and import it into the new system as there might be 'hacks' or unsupported changes. 

Regards, Donna

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:53 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Thank you very much for the clarification ... I had a feeling this is what I needed to do and the video link will be useful. In regards to the custom entity comment, I will be bringing over data currently held in these records however I am re-creating the entities from scratch to ensure "hack" compliancy.

Kind regards and thank you again .... Nick !

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:02 PM
  • You're welcome Nick!

Regards, Donna

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:29 PM