One Care Service not starting RRS feed

• Question

• The last couple of days I am having the following problem.   After booting my computer, I receive an error message that the One care service has not started and to try rebooting to correct this problem.  Did that and received the same error message.  I checked the services and it is supposed to start automatically but is not and I have to manually start the service.  Is there something wrong with my OneCare install or is it a bug.  I currently have version 2.0.2350.10 and have Win XP Professional.

Mike Cameron
    Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Mike, try uninstalling One Care, run the cleanup tool http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2 then reinstall One Care. If the issue persists, please contact support - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-US and use the "Get more help" link in the lower right corner of the page.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Sorry it took so long to respond, I have not had a chance to try the above procedure and have been starting the service manually.  Today I did an uninstall and used the cleanup program then reinstalled and service started automatically on reboot.  That appears to have fixed this problem.

Thanks,
    Mike Cameron
    Monday, October 15, 2007 8:25 PM
  • I removed the four other startup programs and OneCare started correctly.  I will report back if One Care does not start in the coming days with the four other programs disabled.

Thanks,
    Mike Cameron
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hello Mike, try uninstalling One Care, run the cleanup tool http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2 then reinstall One Care. If the issue persists, please contact support - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-US and use the "Get more help" link in the lower right corner of the page.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Sorry it took so long to respond, I have not had a chance to try the above procedure and have been starting the service manually.  Today I did an uninstall and used the cleanup program then reinstalled and service started automatically on reboot.  That appears to have fixed this problem.

Thanks,
    Mike Cameron
    Monday, October 15, 2007 8:25 PM
  • This is an update to my post from yesterday.  After reinstalling Onecare yesterday everything was working correctly, service started automatically on bootup. Today when I booted my computer the service did not start and I had to start it manually.

Mike Cameron
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Hello, Mike. It is my understanding that this is an issue that is being addressed. What I believe is happening is that there is a timeout that happens when the services are being started. If the PC is taxed for resources - other startup items, low memory, high CPU load at start - the startup of the service fails. Until a fix is provided via a refresh, I suspect you'll be manually starting the services regularly.

Can you provide some details about your PC? CPU speed, memory, OS, other startup programs?

-steve

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  My computer is a P4 2.4Ghz, 512MB Ram, WinXP Pro, Google Desktop, Yahoo Gadgets, Napster, Adobe photo downloader, and One Care are the startup programs.

Thanks,
    Mike Cameron
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:17 PM
  • I would try and remove the 4 other startup items temporarily. While 512 megs is a decent amount for XP on that processor, I suspect that the load on startup is causing the failure. If you disable the other startup items and reboot, but then manually start Google Desktop, Yahoo Gadgets , napster and Adobe after you have fully booted up, I'm betting you won't have a problem. Try with more and more in startup automatically in differing combinations to determine which one is causing the problem.

-steve

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:35 AM
  •  

i dont think thats the problem i am running 2.66 duo core with   4 gig ddr2 and still having the same problem
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:30 AM
  • The problem does not occur all the time.   It loads fine one day and not the next.  Since OneCare is a service, is it possible to move the priority up so it starts first?

Thanks,

Mike Cameron

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:39 PM
  • I removed the four other startup programs and OneCare started correctly.  I will report back if One Care does not start in the coming days with the four other programs disabled.

Thanks,
    Mike Cameron
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:07 PM
  •  magic2323 wrote:

i dont think thats the problem i am running 2.66 duo core with   4 gig ddr2 and still having the same problem

Brian, the problem can occur if there is a conflict at startup, too. You're right - it should not happen. If, however, the warning pops from the Security Center about no a/v protection or if OneCare fails to start, but you can start it manually after the PC boots, it is a resource/conflict issue. If OneCare's antivirus fails to start and you cannot start it manually, there's another problem and you should contact support.

-steve

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:23 PM
  •  

yeah itz odd.. 3 out of 4 systems has this problems at my house

and the system it works on is using alot of resources then my others

i guess i will have to remeber to start the services every time i reboot :-p

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:49 AM
  •  magic2323 wrote:

yeah itz odd.. 3 out of 4 systems has this problems at my house

and the system it works on is using alot of resources then my others

i guess i will have to remeber to start the services every time i reboot :-p

Hopefully we will see this fixed soon. (Don't know when...) The startup service times out and then fails. The fix will be to keep retrying after a timeout period on machines having the resource issue. It's a program change that needs to be made.

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:37 AM
  •  

so itz more like a step back ?

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:51 AM
  •  magic2323 wrote:

so itz more like a step back ?

I'm not sure what you mean. It would be a solution to dealing with computers that have resource issues - either due to other startup items fighting for CPU or with low memory, slower drives, etc. The concept is that the service needs to start. You don't want a process to hang indefinitely while it tries to start, so it times out. However, trying again is a sensible thing to do and prevents OneCare from going into a failed status. So, no, it is a step forward once this change is made.

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:51 PM
  • hmm meaing in genreal  one care delvopment it was working fine till after a update..

so know onecare techs are going to have to find out how to fix it  cuz itz only effecting onecare..

so instead of them working on new stuff..they have to go back and figure it out right??

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:47 AM
  • Hi, Brian. No, this problem has actually existed for a very long time - back to 1.x. They have made progress towards identifying a solution, though.

-steve

Friday, October 26, 2007 1:18 AM
  •  

really wow i havent had any problems with any version even beta till that last update on any machine

well i hope they fix it  cuz i just  tested it on a new machine with nothing on it and still it does the same thing

thanks

~Brian

Friday, October 26, 2007 11:40 PM
  •  magic2323 wrote:

really wow i havent had any problems with any version even beta till that last update on any machine

well i hope they fix it  cuz i just  tested it on a new machine with nothing on it and still it does the same thing

thanks

~Brian

Brian, it may be worth contacting support as the problem should not be that widespread to affect two computers for you. It really only affects computers with heavy startup loads and low resources. Your problem may be due to something else completely.

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:28 AM
  •  

okay still no fix for this problem so i came up with my own fix

your could create a bat file with the following commands

net start winss

and put a shortcut in your startup folder

and this will save your from going to the services page and turning it on

Friday, November 2, 2007 6:33 PM
  • How old is Windows and how long has Microsoft been building software. So Microsoft's anit-virus program is having trouble with a Microsoft OS when my previous version, Norton, did not have any problems. Truely amazing! No excues.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:14 AM