Streaming possibility? RRS feed

• Question

• I was hoping to be able to point Windows Media Player on my laptop to the music files on my Vail WHS so that I can use the 'Play To' capability in Windows 7 Windows Media Player to send music to a networked playback device (Linn DS). This works fine on local network but not when I am at my office using remote access. The remote access works fine and I can use Silverlight to stream music but I was really hoping that I could use the laptop remotely to stream using 'Play to' to the Linn. It seems it is not possible to 'tell' Windows Media Player the web address of the WHS library e.g. https://XXXXXX.homeserver.com/music or similar even when a remote access session is running. Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks

CJ

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:34 PM

Answers

• The "Play To" functionality is a part of the DLNA support that's been added in Vail. DLNA operates using UPnP and that is, unfortunately, a "local network only" protocol. So no, it's not possible to "play to" your digital device from afar using only the functionality in Vail and Windows Media Player. It might be possible with additional software; I don't believe anything like that exists specifically for Vail today, and I don't know of any software like that at all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:11 PM

All replies

• The "Play To" functionality is a part of the DLNA support that's been added in Vail. DLNA operates using UPnP and that is, unfortunately, a "local network only" protocol. So no, it's not possible to "play to" your digital device from afar using only the functionality in Vail and Windows Media Player. It might be possible with additional software; I don't believe anything like that exists specifically for Vail today, and I don't know of any software like that at all.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:11 PM
  • To be clear, the Laptop and the playback device (the Linn DS) are on the same local network (in my office 3 miles from home) . It is only the WHS Vail server that is remote (at my home). Thus the 'Play to' operation is local. I am 'simply' trying to tell Windows Media Player on my laptop to pick up the remote WHS library.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for responding

CJ

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Just been doing some more digging. One possibility is to use Media Player on the Vail server and "Allow Internet Access to Media" and then "link online ID". I get as far as being able to click the button to "Link Online ID" but it does not do anything - thoughts?

Thanks

CJ

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:32 AM
  • For "play to" to work, all three devices (controller, server, and player) have to be on the same local network.

As for using Windows Media Player on the server, it's not supported. Which doesn't mean it won't work, but since Microsoft has a different vision (the Silverlight player) it's not going to be documented, and it may not be easy (or possible; I haven't tried).

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:11 PM
  • You probably will have to set up a VPN-tunnel to get those 3 devices in the same network again - this might be tricky and not very advisable though in an office environment...

As far as I understood it, your laptop can access the WHS and the Linn-device, however that device probably can't establish a connection by itself to the WHS, right? I guess the "play-to" feature (haven't tried or read much about it) more or less tells the Linn-thingie "access the file \\homeserver\Music\Britney_Spears_-_Hit_me_baby.mp3 and play it!" so the Linn establishes a connection to the server and not the laptop to access Britney's super hit. In your case this fails, because it can't reach the server (no remote connection and I guess it can't authenticate itself anyways - also not on https...). You need to be in a network where all 3 devices can see and access each other - and since the Linn-box won't do much on it's own, you probably need either a LAN-connection directly to your Laptop that is bridged over to a VPN between Laptop and WHS or a LAN connection to a router that has a VPN connection to either your WHS or your router at home and that is also in the same network as your laptop.

Both of those solutions can be done with a fair bit of reading online and a bit of OpenSource software (for example via OpenVPN) but it's surely not an easy task and might also violate workplace restrictions (I personally would not want people to access files at work from their homes...) but honestly I would just suggest to buy a cheap external HDD or NAS and sync it from time to time with your music collection at home and save yourself the hassle.

Monday, July 5, 2010 11:57 PM
  • I don't have a copy of the DLNA specification (it's just stupid expensive for a private citizen; I guess the Digital Living Network Alliance doesn't want us to play in their sandbox) but it's my understanding that a controller (Windows Media Player on the OP's laptop, for example) tells a server (Vail) to "Play To" a playback device of some sort (could be this "Linn" device, could be a TV, a DLNA stereo, etc. Could even be Windows Media Player on another computer, I believe) and the server establishes the link with the client.
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:37 AM