none
HPC 2012 R2 update to update 1

Question

• Hi

we are trying to update one of our HPC clusters.

It is with HA head node. and external SQL databases.

I have been following the method in the release documentation.

And I am getting the following errors.

Cannot find valid file server resource in the clustered instance specified by registry value in HKLM\HPC Setup. (error code 10)

Under HPC Setup in the registry there is defined a clusterdinstance.

and in the failover cluster manager there is a file server under that instance and is have also pleanty of shares under that.

Do it need a specific share to be created ? or am I missing something.

Monday, August 03, 2015 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Lasse Olsen,

1. Have you ever changed the file server resource name after HPC setup? Is the registry value "clusteredinstance" same with the file server name? If they are not same, the issue will happen.

2. If you didn't change the file server resource name (the registry value "ClusteredInstance" is same with the file server name), probably the failover cluster is not working, please check the status of the failover cluster and the file server, and make sure they are operational.

Sunbin 

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 2:14 AM
  • Hi Sunbin

Thank you vey much for the fast reply

The failover works as it should it can failover from node to node.

This is what we have in the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Cluster\HPC Setup]
    "CLUSTEREDINSTANCE"="DKBDKB7GRH002I"
    "MGMTDBSERVER"="DKBDKB79GA"
    "SCHDDBSERVER"="DKBDKB79GA"
    "DIAGDBSERVER"="DKBDKB79GA"
    "RPTDBSERVER"="DKBDKB79GA"
    "MONDBSERVER"="DKBDKB79GA"
    "MGMTDBCONSTR"="Data Source=DKBDKB79GA;Initial Catalog=hpcmanagement;Integrated Security=True;"
    "SCHDDBCONSTR"="Data Source=DKBDKB79GA;Initial Catalog=hpcscheduler;Integrated Security=True;"
    "RPTDBCONSTR"="Data Source=DKBDKB79GA;Initial Catalog=hpcreporting;Integrated Security=True;"
    "DIAGDBCONSTR"="Data Source=DKBDKB79GA;Initial Catalog=hpcdiagnostics;Integrated Security=True;"
    "MONDBCONSTR"="Data Source=DKBDKB79GA;Initial Catalog=hpcmonitoring;Integrated Security=True;"
    "SQMENABLE"=dword:00000000

There is a file server role define with the same name that we have added some services and shares to.

Screenshots will come shortly when my account have been verified.

/Lasse

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Hi Lasse,

Can you capture the screenshot of the "resources" page of the file server role?

In the "Roles" of the cluster, select the file server and click "Resources" on the bottom, where you can see several HPC services and other resources.

And better to capture the root cluster page and "Storage/Disks" page as well.

Thanks,

Sunbin

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 9:27 AM
  • Hi Sunbin

My account is now activated so i can add the screenshot.

I have taken screenshots of everything from the failover cluster manager.

Thanks

Lasse

• Edited by Lasse.Olsen Thursday, August 06, 2015 9:47 AM
    Thursday, August 06, 2015 9:40 AM
  • Hi Lasse,

Thanks for providing the screenshots.

It seems the cluster and the file server works fine.

Can you provide your email address, so that i can send you a small tool to further identify the cause.

If it is not convenient for you to paste your email here. You can send a mail to my email address suzhu@microsoft.com

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:00 PM