none
XP Home,WGA validation failed RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP Home with SP2
    Windows came installed on my computer and came with a Windows XP Home SP 1 install cd.
    The COA is on the side of the tower and does say Gateway on it.
    My problem is this:

I used that CD to install windows on another computer I assembled.  This new computer has two hard-drives.  I installed Windows XP Home SP 1 on my IDE hard-drive and put other stuff on my SATA HD.  I bought a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit online for $99 and visited the link Microsoft sent me in an e-mail to update my product key so I could legally activate Windows on the new computer.  It went fine and well, until I decided to reformat my HDs (both of them) and install Windows from scratch on the SATA HD instead of the IDE HD that I had Windows XP Home installed on before (for performance reasons.)  After I finally got it installed I tried to activate it using the product key and link from the email Microsoft sent for my Genuine Advantage Kit order.  The windows activation says that product key is already in use.  I'm not paying $99 to do this again, and I didn't take out the old HD with the new product key I bought, so it's not like I can use the other HD.  The error says "Product key already in use. "What do I do?

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 7:43 PM

Answers

• aphotic_noise,

Please activate your Microsoft product by phone. Here below are the instructions for doing so:

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  
    3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.
    4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

There is also a KB article on this as well.

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Monday, May 12, 2008 5:48 PM