One final question on the self-paced training kit for 70-648 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a book from my library called ""MCTS Exams 70-648/649: Transitioning your MCSA/MCSE to Windows server 2008: Self Paced Training Kit" book".

I have the MCSA certification, but not the MCSE.
     I don't think I can take 70-649.

I have considerable financial motiviations to take 70-648 by the end of the month, and the library loan is only for four weeks. Can somebody suggest to me which chapters I should concentrate on to prepare for the exam?

I've got a lot to learn to update my skills, and want to concentrate on the skills for the 648 exam. Once I take that exam, I can slow down and learn the rest of the book at a more leisurely pace.
    I'm also attending my last summer of night school, and graduate at the end of August, in addition to working temp jobs, so my time is limited. I'd like to go through the whole book,  but I may not have time to do it by June 30. I'd like to know what chapters I can skip that are for the 649 exam. I'll go back and do them later as I do need to learn them as well, and see if I can get a discount on getting the 2008 equivalent of MCSE. I forget if that's an MCTS or MCITP and don't feel like looking it up right this second as it's irrelevant. I still haven't gotten used to the new naming scheme.

I have A+, Network+, 70-270, 271, 272, 290, and 291. MCSA & MCDST.

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:37 PM

Answers

• One thing to be aware of is that the exam will have questions related to Server 2008 R2.  The above book is the first edition and doesn't contain this information.  There aren't any indications as to when the second edition will be out.  An alternative would be to purchase the second edition books for 70-642 (available now) and 70-640 (to be published next month) or the Sybex alternatives.  There may also be computer based training available from Trainsignal or TestOut.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:55 PM
    Answerer
  • I find that the best way to study for an exam is to look at the Skills being measured in the exam and then use TechNet and Google to research each skill.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-648#tab2

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, June 10, 2011 9:58 PM

All replies

• One thing to be aware of is that the exam will have questions related to Server 2008 R2.  The above book is the first edition and doesn't contain this information.  There aren't any indications as to when the second edition will be out.  An alternative would be to purchase the second edition books for 70-642 (available now) and 70-640 (to be published next month) or the Sybex alternatives.  There may also be computer based training available from Trainsignal or TestOut.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:55 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm on a budget, if it's not available at the Arlington Heights Memorial Library, I'm SOL.

I apologize for the tone, but my strength is computers, no diplomacy, and I can't think of a more diplomatic way to phrase this:

Are you saying the info on the website of which book to get is obsolete, and won't give me the info I need to pass the exam? I want to learn to update my skills, and I only have until June 30 to take the test if I don't want to pay full price.

That is why I asked which chapters pertain only to exam 649, so I can skip them while I prepare for 648, then go back later.

Friday, June 10, 2011 2:28 PM
  • I find that the best way to study for an exam is to look at the Skills being measured in the exam and then use TechNet and Google to research each skill.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-648#tab2

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, June 10, 2011 9:58 PM
  • I used the equivalent books to get MCDST some time ago, although I had a course from my community college to get MCSA.

Hence why I'm asking which parts are for 648 and which are 649.

BTW, if I pass 648, can I take 649 if I don't have MCSE? I've only got A+, Network+, 270, 271, 272, 290, and 291.

Although I'm planning on taking 682 if they come out with a 72-discount.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:10 AM