Remove Boot Disk from the Storage Pool RRS feed

• Question

• I've set up Windows Home Server, and I'm currently moving lots and lots of files around trying to get things where I want them to be.

I have an array of 5 1TB drives in RAID6, which I had wanted to expand to 8 drives. I've had to create a RAID5 array with the three new disks and am going to move the stuff to them, and somehow come free up 900GB. Once that's done I can jiggle around with things and get all 8 drives together under WHS.

However a problem I've noticed is that the boot drive is being used for storage. It's only a 250GB drive, and it's a few years old. I really don't want it to be used for storage, but I cannot see a way to remove it from the storage pool. There's no redundancy on the drive, so whatever is on there will be at risk.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:55 PM

Answers

• I've set up Windows Home Server, and I'm currently moving lots and lots of files around trying to get things where I want them to be.

I have an array of 5 1TB drives in RAID6, which I had wanted to expand to 8 drives. I've had to create a RAID5 array with the three new disks and am going to move the stuff to them, and somehow come free up 900GB. Once that's done I can jiggle around with things and get all 8 drives together under WHS.

However a problem I've noticed is that the boot drive is being used for storage. It's only a 250GB drive, and it's a few years old. I really don't want it to be used for storage, but I cannot see a way to remove it from the storage pool. There's no redundancy on the drive, so whatever is on there will be at risk.

You cannot remove the primary drive from the storage pool in this version of WHS.  (It can be done in the next version of WHS, codename Vail, which is now in beta testing.)  Also, RAID is not supported on WHS.  The way to protect all of your data (including anything that is stored on the primary drive) is to break your RAID array, add all of the drives to storage pool, then use Folder Duplication.
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:59 PM

All replies

You cannot remove the primary drive from the storage pool in this version of WHS.  (It can be done in the next version of WHS, codename Vail, which is now in beta testing.)  Also, RAID is not supported on WHS.  The way to protect all of your data (including anything that is stored on the primary drive) is to break your RAID array, add all of the drives to storage pool, then use Folder Duplication.
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Will it be possible to upgrade to Vail from the current Home Server without having to move all the data around?

I certainly question what you're saying on RAID. RAID does not need to be supported by the current version of WHS. WHS will just be presented with a 5.4TB drive it can use as space, and the RAID controller itself will handle everything else, including failures replacements, parity etc. I cannot think how breaking the array would be an improvement. I do, however, understand that in most cases RAID is a bad idea. In my case it isn't.... I have 8 identical WD RE3 drives, on an Adaptec 3805 controller, which is a full hardware controller (IOP, cache etc). It's going to finish as RAID6 which will mean two drives can fail, theoretically, before information is lost. Folder duplication does not allow for that level of redundancy.

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:40 AM
  • Will it be possible to upgrade to Vail from the current Home Server without having to move all the data around? 
    MS has not said anything, but it's highly unlikely considering it's a 64-bit OS (while v1 is 32-bit).

I certainly question what you're saying on RAID. RAID does not need to be supported by the current version of WHS. WHS will just be presented with a 5.4TB drive it can use as space 
    No, it won't.  WHS doesn't use GPT and anything above 2 TB will "disappear".  You'll have to present (at least) 3 logical drives to the OS.

and the RAID controller itself will handle everything else, including failures replacements, parity etc. I cannot think how breaking the array would be an improvement. I do, however, understand that in most cases RAID is a bad idea. In my case it isn't.... I have 8 identical WD RE3 drives, on an Adaptec 3805 controller, which is a full hardware controller (IOP, cache etc). It's going to finish as RAID6 which will mean two drives can fail, theoretically, before information is lost. Folder duplication does not allow for that level of redundancy.

That's true.  But it's still not supported.  The biggest problem with RAID on WHS (besides the fact it's not supported) is if a Server Reinstallation should ever become necessary.  You'll probably find it will be difficult to reinstall the OS.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 3:31 AM
  • I may need to buy some cheap high capacity drives to backup the array before I move across to the new version. I'm not in a rush though as this one so far seems pretty good.

I don't think you're correct about over 2TB drives. I'm looking at a 2.72TB drive in WHS right now... I can access all the data etc without any problems.

I'm not sure what the issue would be reinstalling the OS. There's 9 disks in the server, 8 are connected to the RAID controller, and the 9th is just an old 250GB drive that I'm using for the OS. That is where I would reinstall to.

The big issue is with all the drives together in RAID, and all the data on that array I can't simply add them to WHS. I have to move the data elsewhere first, add them, and then move it back. That would be a very useful thing for Microsoft to address in the new version.

Monday, July 26, 2010 4:30 AM
  • I may need to buy some cheap high capacity drives to backup the array before I move across to the new version. I'm not in a rush though as this one so far seems pretty good.

I don't think you're correct about over 2TB drives. I'm looking at a 2.72TB drive in WHS right now... I can access all the data etc without any problems. 

Can you take a screen shot of the Console (specifically the Server Storage tab), upload to a pic-sharing website, and post the link here?  I'd like to see where it says you have a single drive of 2.72 TB in the storage pool.

I'm not sure what the issue would be reinstalling the OS. There's 9 disks in the server, 8 are connected to the RAID controller, and the 9th is just an old 250GB drive that I'm using for the OS. That is where I would reinstall to.

The problem is re-integrating your storage pool into your server.  WHS needs to see all of the drives before you start the Server Reinstallation (and sometimes you need to provide the same drivers a second time, which requires a floppy drive).

The big issue is with all the drives together in RAID, and all the data on that array I can't simply add them to WHS. I have to move the data elsewhere first, add them, and then move it back. That would be a very useful thing for Microsoft to address in the new version.

Vail has the ability to add a "foreign storage pool" that was created under a previous Vail install to a new Vail install (so you don't have to move everything around).
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:45 AM
  • Monday, July 26, 2010 7:10 AM
  • That drive is not part of the storage pool.  As I said, WHS (not to be confused with Server 2003, the underlying OS) doesn't use GPT and since you never presented the drive to WHS, WHS doesn't know about that drive.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 7:05 PM
  • I see! It's not the OS that can't use it, it's the WHS program.

Well, that's slightly annoying... but on the other hand I can just split the 5.4TB of RAID5 array into 3 partitions, and WHS will bunch it all back together again.

So my plan is...

Order a couple of 2TB cheap drives for a one off backup... write to them, then erase the RAID arrays and remake them. At that point reinstall WHS, and then take the backups and fill up WHS's various "folders" of stuff. I will finally, at that point, have a RAID6 array containing all my stuff, and it'll be NTFS, so while it may be scattered, it will be available for me should I decide to demise WHS.

Later, when the new beta WHS is stable (perhaps a year after release, 1st service pack etc) I'll switch over. Or I may even stay with WHS until support is removed.

The only thing I'm missing now is the ability to supply a virtual drive (iSCSI for example) as my main PC simply has a 100GB SSD boot drive, and I'd like to provide it with, say, 500GB of "real" or as real as I can get, disk.

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:02 PM
  • I see! It's not the OS that can't use it, it's the WHS program.

Well, that's slightly annoying... but on the other hand I can just split the 5.4TB of RAID5 array into 3 partitions, and WHS will bunch it all back together again.

So my plan is...

Order a couple of 2TB cheap drives for a one off backup... write to them, then erase the RAID arrays and remake them. At that point reinstall WHS, and then take the backups and fill up WHS's various "folders" of stuff. I will finally, at that point, have a RAID6 array containing all my stuff, and it'll be NTFS, so while it may be scattered, it will be available for me should I decide to demise WHS.

Later, when the new beta WHS is stable (perhaps a year after release, 1st service pack etc) I'll switch over. Or I may even stay with WHS until support is removed. 

Considering that beta testing is already going on for Win7/Server 2008 R2 SP1 (and the potential time frame of when Vail will be available to the public, which I don't think will happen much before Christmas), my guess is that Vail (which is written on top of Server 2008 R2) will ship with Service Pack 1 already installed.

The only thing I'm missing now is the ability to supply a virtual drive (iSCSI for example) as my main PC simply has a 100GB SSD boot drive, and I'd like to provide it with, say, 500GB of "real" or as real as I can get, disk.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:52 AM