WHS connector icon turns gray after a few minutes; can't access WHS without a reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I converted a fully functioning, self-built desktop PC into a WHS by installing a WHS OEM software. Originally i was able to set up my converted PC using the trial WHS version with minimal issues. The trial software worked fine and the problem started after installing the purchased (licensed)WHS software.

Now the only computer that can successfully connect via the WHS connector is the PC hardwired to my router and even then it is temporary. I'll initiate the back up feature, but after about 15 minutes the connector drops and the icon on desktop goes gray. I can't get the WHS connector to install on my two other wireless computers using the WHS connector disc.  One of my two wireless computer will  recognize the WHS when i reboot the WHS, but will not allow me access. Where do i go from here? 

Thanks,

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:45 AM

Answers

• I converted a fully functioning, self-built desktop PC into a WHS by installing a WHS OEM software. Originally i was able to set up my converted PC using the trial WHS version with minimal issues. The trial software worked fine and the problem started after installing the purchased (licensed)WHS software.

Now the only computer that can successfully connect via the WHS connector is the PC hardwired to my router and even then it is temporary. I'll initiate the back up feature, but after about 15 minutes the connector drops and the icon on desktop goes gray. I can't get the WHS connector to install on my two other wireless computers using the WHS connector disc.  One of my two wireless computer will  recognize the WHS when i reboot the WHS, but will not allow me access. Where do i go from here? 

Thanks,

I would start by checking the drivers for the NIC in your server.  Also, you might try swapping the network cable that is plugged into your server.
    • Marked as answer by Mandamas Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:40 AM

All replies

• My computers on my network are running, Windows 7 (hardwired), Vista, and XP
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:47 AM

Thanks,

I would start by checking the drivers for the NIC in your server.  Also, you might try swapping the network cable that is plugged into your server.
    • Marked as answer by Mandamas Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:40 AM
  • Genius... problem fixed after updating drivers. Hope it lasts.

thanks for your help

Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:41 PM