none
What are the currently available Profile Achievements? RRS feed

• General discussion

• And how can you earn Recognition Points? For this second question, my guess is that when people rate your Gallery Code Sample, that's currently (as of 5/9/11) the only way to achieve Recognition Points. Can anyone confirm that?

SPOILER ALERT: Some of these are hidden Easter Eggs. You might not want to read about them!!!

Regarding Acievements...

BRONZE

1. Profile Complete. If it's completed already (and you don't have the achievement), change every text box (biography information, company name, public display name, and website link), and then click Save. I believe you also have to reupload your avatar (can anyone confirm that?).

2. New Gallery Rater. Simply go to MSDN Gallery and rate a code sample (I recommend you know what you're rating and why you're giving it that rating). Gallery Links (titled Samples and Repository):

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/

3. New Gallery Contributor. Contribute a code sample to the MSDN Samples site or a script to the TechNet Gallery site (see links above).

4. About Me Busy Bee. Change your biography 10 times, but it's a limited time offer! The basic idea is that you're so busy that your biography is constantly changing it, and you have to keep updating it!

That's all I've found so far. Please post replies with more Achievements or ways to earn Recognition Points. Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Technical Writer (Blog, Twitter)
    Monday, May 9, 2011 10:04 PM
    Owner

All replies

• For Profile Complete it is Avatar Image Update, Website, Bio and Company. That's all the hints I'm giving at the moment ;-)

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:42 PM
  • I've done it 20 times or more - no Bronze yet for that. 
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

After spending some time, i got it worked

I updated all fields including display name & avater. Also make sure BIO has more than 350 character data. Once I got the bronze achievement, I reverted the updates back :-)

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    [MVP Visual C#]
    Dot Net Goodies
    Don't hate the hacker, hate the code
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Wow, finally! I changed all the fields again as you said. Didn't get it. Then I reverted everything back to what it was and finally got it.

My blog

My profile was fine.

I updated profile to get the bronze achievement. Once i got achievement, changed values to old one.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    [MVP Visual C#]
    Dot Net Goodies
    Don't hate the hacker, hate the code
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:26 PM
  • I updated my profile months ago. I have no intention of changing it.

My name and my web site have a reputation earned over almost a decade of work. When I sign a post, my name is all that is needed as far as I am concerned.

I can easily find fault with code examples in the Gallery and Wiki, but I have decided not to edit articles in the Wiki or comment on code in the Gallery. If I do, it may appear that I endorse the code. In some cases in the Wiki I'd rather start over than attempt to fix a poor article. Also, I probably would not like others criticizing my work.

The old Script Center was great and I used links to examples there often. The examples were easy to find, the format and style were consistent (a style I adopted myself), and they each demonstrated one concept. The new Gallery is of much less use. Most of the examples are elaborate code specific to one situation.  Don't get me wrong, many of the submissions are clever, took a lot of time, and are well documented. But if there are any suitable as examples demonstrating concepts to answer questions in the forums, I'm not likely to find them. I'm more likely to link examples on my web site, or post code from the thousands of examples I've saved over the years. And I have no intention of adding any of them to the Gallery.

I can see that the existing recognition system incents people, including me. I can also see a few cases were people attempted to game the system. I'm debating ignoring the points and achievements in the new system and let others either appreciate my contributions or not.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:28 AM
  • I updated my profile months ago.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

You can change it back. So if you want to unlock that achievement (I'm not saying you do), then you can still change it back and keep the same content.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:16 AM
    Owner
  • Wow, finally! I changed all the fields again as you said. Didn't get it. Then I reverted everything back to what it was and finally got it.

So does that make it more worth it when you have to earn the achievement? =^)
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:25 AM
    Owner
  • Well, it cost me at least an hour of all the attempts :) (6 or 8 before it finally worked or more). I don't think it is really worth it as with all my points, answers, etc., all I got so far is 3 bronze achievements and not even an MCC title that everyone else seem to have...

My blog

True. You have 4,700 forum answers. =^)

Do you write any Wiki pages or make contributions there? (Just curious since that's where I contribute the most.)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:13 PM
    Owner
  • I did post one SQL related article in the Gallery here, but I blog on this forum

www.lessthandot.com and also here www.beyondrelational.com and have one more article in another blog from my friend.

So, these are my main contributions, but I also answer on few other forums on a regular basis.

My blog
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Is the About Me Busy Bee achievement still obtainable?
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Available TechNet Profile Achievements
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Hi Ed

This is precisely the type of definition to post on my answers: Wiki: TechNet Achievements, I request you to add more complete model.

Jaime
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:40 PM
  • JamieH, I recommend going to Arposh's Wiki page. A lot of us have updated that info: Available TechNet Profile Achievements

And then for "official" definitions, Sean mentioned that they will release something soon in this forum thread: TechNet Achievements

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft xPM = Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter)
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:55 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you, Rich, for creating that page! I updated it with some more info. But as Sean said, they'll release the all the details later.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft xPM = Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter)
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:16 PM
    Owner