Home edition with a pro edition key? RRS feed

• Question

• While trying to fix my dad's computer i have formatted and installed a home edtion of xp, on a laptop with an xp pro license. so now i can't complete the install because the professional product key won't work with the home edtion installation. any suggestions on how to fix this problem? i'm desperate!!
    Monday, October 1, 2007 5:55 PM

Answers

• You'll have to use a Windows XP Professional CD if you wish to use a Windows XP Professional product key.

Monday, October 1, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Hello Breakerfall,

Mixing and matching product keys do not work.  Curious who is the manufacturer of your father's laptop? Does he have any of the original reinstallation media software which came with the system @ the time of purchase? The best solution you have @ the moment is contacting the manufacturer's technicial support and order the reinstallation recovery software media for the make and model for his laptop. There may be a slight charge so please be sure to ask them. This will be the quickest way to get the machine up and running. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 1, 2007 9:32 PM

All replies

• You'll have to use a Windows XP Professional CD if you wish to use a Windows XP Professional product key.

Monday, October 1, 2007 6:16 PM
  • I could work that out, i'm stuck half way through an installation with no way to restart it or no key that will work. thats what i need the help with.
    Monday, October 1, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Hello Breakerfall,

Mixing and matching product keys do not work.  Curious who is the manufacturer of your father's laptop? Does he have any of the original reinstallation media software which came with the system @ the time of purchase? The best solution you have @ the moment is contacting the manufacturer's technicial support and order the reinstallation recovery software media for the make and model for his laptop. There may be a slight charge so please be sure to ask them. This will be the quickest way to get the machine up and running. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 1, 2007 9:32 PM