none
Seagate Hard Drive not recognised RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am attempting to install WHS for the first time, however i get the following message 'Hard drive capable of hosting WHS was not found, would you like to load additional storage drives?' The hard drive is an 80Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA drive, model number ST380013AS. The motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro2. the AMD chip is 2800XP. I realise that this is a small Hard drive, however the Minimum specs state an 80Gb hard drive so I thought it would be suitable as a primary drive and I would add additional drives later. I first thought that it might be looking for the SATA drivers from the GIGABYTE motherboard CD, so I tried to install the drivers from a floppy disc and from the CD itself, yet this didn't work. If anyone could give me some guidance I would be most appreciative.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:26 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the heads up on the hard drive size. I was on the right track when I suspected that the WHS wanted a SATA driver. It wanted a SIL 3512A Controller Driver. I found a newer one at the GIGABYTE website for my motherboad, it has recognised the seagate drive OK now. I will try the 80Gb out for now. My main computer has 4 x 500GB drives but I am reluctant to commit one of these at the moment. I want to see if WHS will do what I want it to do first.

Regards

Peter 

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:21 AM

All replies

• I would suggest you rethink the use of an 80GB HD as your primary disk.It is highly recommended that the primary disk be your largest disk in the system. I think you are setting yourself for problems or at a reinstall down the road.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Thanks for the heads up on the hard drive size. I was on the right track when I suspected that the WHS wanted a SATA driver. It wanted a SIL 3512A Controller Driver. I found a newer one at the GIGABYTE website for my motherboad, it has recognised the seagate drive OK now. I will try the 80Gb out for now. My main computer has 4 x 500GB drives but I am reluctant to commit one of these at the moment. I want to see if WHS will do what I want it to do first.

Regards

Peter 

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:21 AM