Adding mobile device support to an app already running SyncFramework V2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing application that is already running SyncFramework V2 to synchronize multiple workstations over WCF.  Each workstation is a laptop with its own database (SQL Express) and they are synchronized in a peer-to-peer fashion.  The solution is working well.  We would now like to add in mobile devices.  It would be similar to a laptop in a car, and a worker has a pocketpc that they are using outside the car for data entry.  When they get back, they sync up, and and the laptop would then synchronize with the other laptops.  The first problem, the Microsoft.Synchronization.xxx dlls are named the same in V1 and V2, so I can't just create separate instances of both versions of the dlls.  Also, we are using the datetimeoffset data types for change tracking in our database, which does not play nice with the wizard for V1.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just not use V1 for now and hope that a V2 version for devices is released in the near future.  One more thing to note, the device should not be tied to any particular laptop, it should be able to sync with any available laptop.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:31 PM

Answers

• You should be able to use v1 and v2 assemblies side-by-side. They have the same name, but are versioned (so the strong name is different), and are both GAC'd in a sxs installation. Like JuneT mentioned, you can compile them against the appropriate version and you should be good.
    • Marked as answer by FireTek Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:02 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:47 PM

All replies

• If you need the device to be able to sync to any laptop, then you'll have to go with the collaboration (peer-to-peer) providers. The Local Database Cache designer is more of a hub-spoke scenario.

As for V1 and V2 co-existence, I've had success running sync between  V1 on devices and V2 on the desktop/server by modifying the references after the designer generates the code.

cheers

Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:40 AM
  • You should be able to use v1 and v2 assemblies side-by-side. They have the same name, but are versioned (so the strong name is different), and are both GAC'd in a sxs installation. Like JuneT mentioned, you can compile them against the appropriate version and you should be good.
    • Marked as answer by FireTek Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:02 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:47 PM