Counting MCSA/MCSE Elective Exams RRS feed

• Question

• I just completed my first test towards my MCSA/MCSE and I am trying to figure what is the best exam for me to take as my elective since I am usually interested in all of these. I was thinking about going for my MCDBA one day but it looks like that is being replaced by the MCITP:DBA certification. So I saw that this requires a prereq of exam 70-431. Know I know that MS won't let you count your elective exam towards another certification but can you count it towards a prereq to another certification.  Does any one have any knowledge or experience of trying to do this to make sure you get every thing you can out of each test?

Thanks for any help!
    Monday, June 23, 2008 9:49 PM

Answers

• Microsoft does allow exams to count towards multiple certifications. 70-431 for example counts as the following.

Certification for:
    MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Prerequisite for:
    MCITP: Database Administrator
    MCITP: Database Developer

Elective for:
    MCSA on Windows Server 2003
    MCSE on Windows Server 2003

I did the MCDBA after my MCSE for Server 2003 and carried the exams 70-290 and 70-291 over so I only had to take 70-228 and 70-229 to complete it. The only exceptions Microsoft makes are cases where an exam could be used in more than one place for a single certification, in which they only allow you to count it once. For example if you take 70-620 (Windows Vista Configuration) it can be your OS exam or your electvie option for the MCSA/MCSE on Windows Server 2003 but cannot be used as both your OS exam and your elective exam.

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Monday, June 23, 2008 10:36 PM
    Monday, June 23, 2008 10:36 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Microsoft does allow exams to count towards multiple certifications. 70-431 for example counts as the following.

Certification for:
    MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Prerequisite for:
    MCITP: Database Administrator
    MCITP: Database Developer

Elective for:
    MCSA on Windows Server 2003
    MCSE on Windows Server 2003

I did the MCDBA after my MCSE for Server 2003 and carried the exams 70-290 and 70-291 over so I only had to take 70-228 and 70-229 to complete it. The only exceptions Microsoft makes are cases where an exam could be used in more than one place for a single certification, in which they only allow you to count it once. For example if you take 70-620 (Windows Vista Configuration) it can be your OS exam or your electvie option for the MCSA/MCSE on Windows Server 2003 but cannot be used as both your OS exam and your elective exam.

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    Monday, June 23, 2008 10:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for help clarifying that for me! That is great to know!
    Monday, June 23, 2008 11:07 PM