Restore CD: No backups shown to select for restore... RRS feed

• Question

• I had a machine die while we were on vacation. 13 days ago. The last backup failed to connect to the machine, so there is one failed backup at the head of the backup queue. I can see the backups for  the dead machine from the whs console on another machine.

When I boot the restore CD, the machine name is correctly identifed -- the wizard shows the correct machine name, but the select a backup dialog doesn't show any backups to choose from. I'm doing a backup cleanup, removing the one failed backup, but in the meantime, any ideas as to why the restore wizard isn't showing the successful backups for this machine?

tia,
    hj
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:42 PM

All replies

• From another PC that you've joined with your home server, are you able to browse backups for the machine having problems?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Yes, I can see the backups I want to restore from on another machine on the net, just not from the dialog opened on the machine running the Restore Wizard booted from the Restore CD image.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 12:50 AM
  • The attempt to cleanup backups fails reliably:

Reporting queued error: faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, fault address 0x0001d362.

The watson bucket for the fault is: Fault bucket 1030653632.

All of the errors fault into the same bucket.

I'm runningthe cleanup via a term services login, but I doubt that there will be any difference.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 12:54 AM
  • whsbackup.exe failed when run in a TS context. It also complains about a dcom service that won't start:

The server {E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I'm trying a repair operation now...  the repair claimed to have fixed somethings, but I still can't see any backups to restore on the machine running the restore cd's repair wizard. I'l try reinstalling Windows, rejoing the home network, and seeing if I can reinstall after that.

Monday, December 1, 2008 3:00 AM
  • HardwareJunkie said:

whsbackup.exe failed when run in a TS context. It also complains about a dcom service that won't start:

The server {E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I'm trying a repair operation now...  the repair claimed to have fixed somethings, but I still can't see any backups to restore on the machine running the restore cd's repair wizard. I'l try reinstalling Windows, rejoing the home network, and seeing if I can reinstall after that.

You could try connecting the drive you want to restore to to your other PC, then run the restore from there.  On that PC, go to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and run ClientRestoreWizard.exe.  It runs the same restore functions as the CD.  Just make sure you restore your backup to the correct drive.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 4:28 AM
  • So the backups repair operation leaves the server in a state where the client can see its backups and do a restore. That's good news.

But the backups for this machine are not discoverable if, after repairing, I subsequently attempt a backup cleanup (which always leads to a whsbackup.exe crash).

On a separate topic, the load drivers ui in the restore cd boot sequence leaves a lot to be desired ;-(

Monday, December 1, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Could you please submit a bug for the backup cleanup issue on Connect? You should be sure to include server logs collected and sent using the server add-in component of the WHS toolkit.

As for the driver UI, I'm not sure what you feel is missing. You put drivers (collected for the purpose by WHS backup) on a thumb drive and supply that when asked. But you could always make a product suggestion on Connect, as well.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:32 PM