check Disk RRS feed

• Question

• During a tune up,One care ran check disk. now every time I start my computer, check disk runs. How do i turn it off/

Friday, May 23, 2008 11:26 PM

Answers

• OneCare doesn't run Check Disk, it runs Defrag, during Tune-up.

If Check Disk is running at boot, that means that Windows has set the "dirty bit" for the drive, indicating that a scan at boot is required due to errors suspected or detected. It may mean that the drive has problems, or it may be an erroneous action.

This link has lots of information on the topic and some possible solutions to clear it:

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32224&view=previous

-steve

Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:39 AM

All replies

• OneCare doesn't run Check Disk, it runs Defrag, during Tune-up.

If Check Disk is running at boot, that means that Windows has set the "dirty bit" for the drive, indicating that a scan at boot is required due to errors suspected or detected. It may mean that the drive has problems, or it may be an erroneous action.

This link has lots of information on the topic and some possible solutions to clear it:

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32224&view=previous

-steve

Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Tne up did run chkdsk. In the prosess of running defrag. there was a problem, check disk was run. I am very new to this type of operation. I went to the link you said to. I tried the (chkntfs/X C: ) the command screen showed for a second. then nothing. I did not try the other. I do not under stand how to do it?

Chuck    Add on: I open command prompt and type in the command listed above. Shut system down and reopened. All is OK I beleive. Thank you. Chuck

Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Interesting that Chkdsk was automatically run when Defrag was unable to run due to disk problems - I've never seen that happen.

I'm glad that you were able to resolve it, though.

-steve

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:27 PM