Nothing works - Windows Live ID, One Care, nothing! RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to activate a product key (purchased through Office Depot) to continue a trial subscription on a new machine.

The activation says the key is in use by another live account.  I have asked to have my password reset via email to my email account, but the link I am told to enter into the web browser does not work/returns an error. 

So now my supposedly live account is toast, and no amount of helpful online links are doing me any good.

I should have known better than to put any additional Microsoft software on my computer! I have never had a more frustrating experience that I am having with this crappy user account system.

Please tell me how I can speak to a live person so that I might be able to get some bit of use out of this product.  

Friday, August 15, 2008 12:05 AM

Answers

• I already answered you other post, but you've now encountered additional problems and I'm not sure that I know the full story of what you are doing/have done.

Is this the first time that you have used the key to activate a copy of OneCare or have you installed and activated on another PC already? If it is the first time using it, as I replied in the other thread, you will need to exchange your retail copy at Office Depot as a key can only be used once and you have a used key or a duplicate key.

I am not sure why you are trying to reset your password if the error you encountered is that the key is in use. If you submitted a password request for a LiveID and then cannot confirm the link, the password remains unchanged. Of course, that may mean that you cannot access the LiveID since you don't know the password. Check the copy/paste of the link very carefully. If it is exactly the same and it still fails to work, submit the request again.

I'm sorry that you've encountered such trouble.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare Activation" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3749013&SiteID=2

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:34 PM