Duplicate record during "Convert Lead..."? RRS feed

• Question

• hi folks, 

is it possible to detect a duplicate record during "Convert Lead..."? he should ask before converting (if a account already exist).

thanks
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:58 PM

Answers

• I don't think you can do this.

But you can create a duplicate rule that checks leads against accounts as the leads are entered.

Have a look at Settings | Data Management | Duplicate Detection Rules.  Create a new rule and use Lead as the Base Record Type and Account as the Matching Record Type.

Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:40 AM

All replies

• I don't think you can do this.

But you can create a duplicate rule that checks leads against accounts as the leads are entered.

Have a look at Settings | Data Management | Duplicate Detection Rules.  Create a new rule and use Lead as the Base Record Type and Account as the Matching Record Type.

Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Feridun is correct--you can have a duplicate rule when the lead is created but not when it is converted.  This is one reason why you want to be careful using leads.  I strongly recommend that you don't keep data in leads for very long--doing that increases the chances that a duplicate will be created.  Also, some data, such as notes don't convert when you convert the lead. 

I recommend using leads as a quick way to create an account, contact, and/or opportunity at the same time, but quickly convert to accounts and contacts. 
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 11:58 PM