Backup failures VolumeCluster.4096.dat RRS feed

• Question

• My home server has been working flwlessly for quite some time. I worked with the Beta for a long time before it was released and then bought the software as soon as it was avilable. It's been running on the same machine for a long time. It's a home-made server with two 500GB SATA drives. I was running out of room about nine months ago so added an external drive (MyBook 1TB). Worked fine, no problems then about month or so ago I got a backup failure and it was a corrupted GlobalCluster.4096.dat file. Running repair didn't help so I went in and deleted the entire set of backup files, and re-backed up all my machines. Now I get individual failures with corrupted VolumeCluster.4096.dat files. I delete the individual sets and then they work fine. I've had two particular machines have corrupted files and the others so far seem to be working okay. Is it just a coincidence that these two have had repeated failures. They're probably the machines with the largest amount of data on their hard drives.  I've run chkdsk on the server drives with no errors found. I store all my music on the server and have a separate PC runnning WMP reading the music off the server to play. This runs pretty much full time. Could the music streaming be causing the probems when I'm backing up the larger machines? Is it possible to have too much data on one machine such that the VolumeCluster files are too big and at risk of corruption? Can I be having disk problems that don't show up even running chkdsk? Could the USB drive (MyBook) be causing problems? I've thought about upgrading to 1TB drives and not using the Mybook drive, but that's a lot of work trying to swap out the two primary drives. Any suggestions?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:14 AM

All replies

• My home server has been working flwlessly for quite some time. I worked with the Beta for a long time before it was released and then bought the software as soon as it was avilable. It's been running on the same machine for a long time. It's a home-made server with two 500GB SATA drives. I was running out of room about nine months ago so added an external drive (MyBook 1TB). Worked fine, no problems then about month or so ago I got a backup failure and it was a corrupted GlobalCluster.4096.dat file. Running repair didn't help so I went in and deleted the entire set of backup files, and re-backed up all my machines. Now I get individual failures with corrupted VolumeCluster.4096.dat files. I delete the individual sets and then they work fine. I've had two particular machines have corrupted files and the others so far seem to be working okay. Is it just a coincidence that these two have had repeated failures. They're probably the machines with the largest amount of data on their hard drives.  I've run chkdsk on the server drives with no errors found. I store all my music on the server and have a separate PC runnning WMP reading the music off the server to play. This runs pretty much full time. Could the music streaming be causing the probems when I'm backing up the larger machines?

I wouldn't think so.  What are the component numbers in your Console?  (Settings button, Resources tab)

Is it possible to have too much data on one machine such that the VolumeCluster files are too big and at risk of corruption?

Not that I know of.

Can I be having disk problems that don't show up even running chkdsk?

I suppose it's possible, but I would think that would be unlikely.  Did you run chkdsk /r on all 3 drives (or just the C and D partition)?

Could the USB drive (MyBook) be causing problems?

Could be.

I've thought about upgrading to 1TB drives and not using the Mybook drive, but that's a lot of work trying to swap out the two primary drives. Any suggestions?
    First thing I would try is chkdsk /r on those 2 computers that seem to be linked to the corrupted files.  Also, other users have had issues with using USB drives as part of the storage pool.  You might want to consider removing it from your storage pool (which would obviously require moving enough data off of your server to allow that).
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:49 AM