This copy of windows is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my HP Dv6000 laptop a few months ago and it worked fine. It has a windows vista home premium operating system. After the first month i turned on my computer and a window came up saying the product key entered is not genuine. It gives a few methods on how to fix the problem, one of which said to re-enter the product key. So i did and it was still invalid. I called microsoft and they gave me a validation key to type in so that i can use the computer but with less features available. I was told there was a problem with vista and they were trying to fix it. It has now been a few weeks and i am wondering how to fix the problem of making windows genuine? Is there a problem with my product key or windows vista?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:33 AM

Answers

•  

Please post the results of the WGA diagnostics tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) with any new question. 

Please also post the error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of the message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Thank you!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:55 PM

All replies

•  

Please post the results of the WGA diagnostics tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) with any new question. 

Please also post the error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of the message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Thank you!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:55 PM
  •  

I'm getting the same message in the lower right corner of my desktop, overlayed the background, just above the system tray.  Vista Home Premium came on my HP m7750n.  Everything has been running fine since it appeared, however I'd like to get this issue resolved. 

On the Computer->Properties page, it says Windows is activated, but I'm not "genuine".  I can click on the "Get Genuine" link, and everything appears to validate properly, but I still have the message.

The MS Genuine Advantage Diagnostic tool (1.7.0039.0), linked above, says that I have an Invalid License.  Do I need to contact HP?  Originally when I bought this PC from CompUSA (as they were closing all the stores in Phoenix), I was a little surprised that I didn't have a Microsoft COA sticker w/ key on the PC or in any of the literature.  Do I need to contact HP, or Microsoft?  Thanks!!  Smile

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:15 AM
  • Make sure your installed version of Windows Vista is activated.
    Follow this procedure:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Note: The "Start Search" box is located right above the Vista blue start button
              when you click on it.

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:53 PM
  • what is the number that you called to get in contact with microsoft concerning the windows is not genuwine message
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:43 PM
  • WGA Email Support

Carey Frisch
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:57 PM