How do you connect to WHS's IIS remotely from Dreamweaver? RRS feed

• Question

•  I would like to use WHS to remotely host websites using Macromedia's Studio 8 authoring tools like Dreamweaver.  I have tried to setup a WebDAV connection, but I can't seem to make it work.  I cannot "put" files to the site even though the Site Manager's tests check out OK.  IIS's documentation was not much help. 

Do I correctly observe that FTP is not available from Microsoft for WHS?  I would rather not install FTP from another source.

How can I connect to WHS's IIS with Dreamweaver? 
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:07 PM

Answers

• When Windows Home Server is installed, it includes neither WebDAV nor an FTP server. It's possible to configure either, but unsupported. Brendan Grant wrote an addin that adds WebDAV for your shares: Web Folders for WHS. It may be that you can use that to meet your needs.

As for FTP, you can install that yourself, though I would personally recommend against it; FTP is by definition an insecure protocol, meaning that all control information including user names and passwords is sent through a telnet conneciton in plain text. You will need to log on to your server using Remote Desktop or a physically connected keyboard, video, and mouse, and install the FTP component for IIS. There is no way to manage the FTP component through the WHS Console however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:39 PM

All replies

• When Windows Home Server is installed, it includes neither WebDAV nor an FTP server. It's possible to configure either, but unsupported. Brendan Grant wrote an addin that adds WebDAV for your shares: Web Folders for WHS. It may be that you can use that to meet your needs.

As for FTP, you can install that yourself, though I would personally recommend against it; FTP is by definition an insecure protocol, meaning that all control information including user names and passwords is sent through a telnet conneciton in plain text. You will need to log on to your server using Remote Desktop or a physically connected keyboard, video, and mouse, and install the FTP component for IIS. There is no way to manage the FTP component through the WHS Console however.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Yes, I would rather not install FTP if I can avoid it.  However, I am using the WHS 120-Day Evaluation and when I tried to install it as a part IIS, I was prompted for a Server 2003 Small Business edition disk.  I tried the installation disk that I got and it couldn't find it.  Maybe they forgot to install it in the demo edition.  Do you confirm that FTP is available in WHS?  I'll have a look at the addin you suggested and report back.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:39 PM
  • The setup files aren't in the default location on the WHS installation disk, which is <driveletter>:\i386. They're in (from memory) <driveletter>:\SVR_2003\i386. (Remember, installing an FTP server on your WHS box is an unsupported modification. Microsoft isn't going to spend a second on making it easier or harder to do.) If that's not quite right, poke around and I'm sure you'll find it. :)
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:11 PM
  • You can use the FTP Manager add-in (by CompuGeek) to set up your WHS for this.
    This makes it quite a simple task.
    You should set up the new website(s) using IIS Manager first.
    When you set up the new website, select a port like 81, 8080 or other unused port (other than 80), and enable it in Windows Firewall and on your router.), and then set up your Set the FTP to the root directory of the new website, and then you should be able to push the files up for http viewing.
    Don't set up the FTP to point to the Default Web Site or WHS site, or you could risk breaking your server...

WebDAV is disabled by default.  You can enable it in ISS Manager under Web Service Extensions, but using FTP would be a more simple solution.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:29 AM