Trying to subscribe new OneCare---says only works in UK??!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently purchased windows live OneCare (purchased new in the USA.) As I am trying to subscribe my PC to the service, after entering the 25 digit product key, I am told that this product only works in the UK??!!  I am in the USA, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  Not sure what to do now.  ???  I paid $40 for this Windows Live OneCare.  I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:18 PM

Answers

• I'm not quite sure why you'd get that message during activation, but you can try the following:

Open IE and in Tools/Internet Options, verify that your language setting is correctly selected - English - United States.

If it is not, click "Add" to select English - US from the list.

Make that selection the default. It should appear at the top of the list.

Remove or demote other entries that are not appropriate.

If that doesn't resolve it, please contact support (via email as a trial user)

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:42 PM

All replies

• I'm not quite sure why you'd get that message during activation, but you can try the following:

Open IE and in Tools/Internet Options, verify that your language setting is correctly selected - English - United States.

If it is not, click "Add" to select English - US from the list.

Make that selection the default. It should appear at the top of the list.

Remove or demote other entries that are not appropriate.

If that doesn't resolve it, please contact support (via email as a trial user)

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Yes, I checked and my settings are already on U.S./English.  Thank you for your suggestion.  Anyone else have any idea what the problem might be?  Thank you!
    Monday, February 2, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Go to http://account.live.com and verify that your LiveID information is correctly entered for your actual location.

If that is also correct. please describe the exact steps you are following to activate the subscription following the installation of OneCare from the disc that you purchased. The reason that I'm confused is that OneCare is the same no matter where it is installed from. It respects the system language settings (Control Panel) to determine if you are using a supported language and uses the browser (IE) language settings to determine what credit card form to present you with.

-steve
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Hi, Steve.  Thanks, again, for your reply.  Yes, it does appear that my ID information is correctly entered.  I wonder if there is a way that I can talk with a human being?  I did try to initiate a "chat"; however, "chat" is allowed only for those with a paid subscription.  Although I do have a paid subscription, subscribing IS the problem I need help with; therefore, I don't yet have a "subscription."  I did not pay for OneCare over the internet, if that answers your other question about my language settings determing what credit vcard form to present me with.  I purchased OneCare new, sealed in the box, from an eBay store (one located in the U.S.A.) via paypal.  Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Since support is so painful to reach when you haven't actually set up the subscription that you paid for let's use the  unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/93cd488b-c09a-49da-8cc3-f29f96badee5
    I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:47 PM