Create workflow to attach files to email RRS feed

• Question

• We have a quarterly process of sending clients customized reports via email that are generated outside of CRM.  We are a new Dynamics User and wanted to know if there was a more simple way of automating this process.  Currently, it is the tedious process of creating the email, attaching the file then sending it.

The body of the email never changes for each client, but the attached report is unique.  I was thinking a workflow that creates an email when the file is attached to the client's notes page, but I can't seem to figure that out.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks so much.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:43 PM

Answers

• Without using custom code, you are pretty much stuck attaching each file manually.  There really isn't a way in CRM to attach files to emails dynamically.

If you are willing to explore some custom coding options, you can really make this an easy process for the end user.

I think the way I would do it is develop a spreadsheet that has the client's name and the path where their report sits, probably on a network share.
    You could import this sheet into CRM to update the client records, then have a custom workflow activity which creates an email from a template, attaches that client's report, and sends the email.  The hardest part would be making sure the files are accessible to the workflow code.

Friday, February 12, 2010 10:05 PM

All replies

• Without using custom code, you are pretty much stuck attaching each file manually.  There really isn't a way in CRM to attach files to emails dynamically.

If you are willing to explore some custom coding options, you can really make this an easy process for the end user.

I think the way I would do it is develop a spreadsheet that has the client's name and the path where their report sits, probably on a network share.
    You could import this sheet into CRM to update the client records, then have a custom workflow activity which creates an email from a template, attaches that client's report, and sends the email.  The hardest part would be making sure the files are accessible to the workflow code.

Friday, February 12, 2010 10:05 PM
  • There are two possible solution for this

1. you can schedule to send report output as email using SSRS Subscription, following article show whole process 

http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2009/08/05/creating-report-subscriptions-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4.aspx

2. write custom workflow code for the same, following article shows whole code for the same..

http://a33ik.blogspot.com/2009/08/custom-workflow-action-which-renders.html

Hope this helps..
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:58 PM
    Answerer