domain name set up on server but not available on the internet RRS feed

• Question

• from Server Settings, Remote Web Access, I set up my_name/homeserver/com.  No error is generated.  When I try to access it the response is "This page cannot be displayed".   I've waited for hours for it to show up.

A number of site names that I requested were already in use, so I tried to access them as a test.  At least one, pacific/homeserver/com, can be accessed. 

Is the homeserver domain generator working? 

When I try to get support, I am bounced back and forth between Windows support and Professional support, and it is clear that no one I talk to has any familiarity with WHS 2011.  Who can I call for WHS 2011 installation and configuration support?  Is there a magic word that will get me transferred to the right support person?

Monday, April 14, 2014 10:42 PM

Answers

• Ping xxx.homeserver.com and compare the response to the external IP address of your modem. If that's OK, go to www.grc.com and run ShieldsUp from a client computer to confirm that both Ports 80 & 443 are open - these should be forwarded to your server internal IP address.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Mulligan Stew Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:21 AM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 11:27 PM
  • Are you trying this from within your own network when you receive the "This page cannot be displayed" error message? If so, try from an external location or by using a smart phone with wifi switched off. If that works you are fine and your router does not support loop back but the site is available externally.

If not, on your local network try typing "my_name" into a web browser - this is the xxx bit in xxx.homeserver.com. You will get Certificate warnings that you can safely ignore and you should see the login screen that you should see from the outside world. That confirms the site is set up correctly.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Mulligan Stew Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:20 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Phil, your suggestions led me to the solution.  My modem/router is a ZyXEL C1000Z.  It assigns port 443 to its management GUI for external access.  It reserves that port (and does not allow manual port forwarding of 443) even when external access is disabled. The UPnP configuration of the modem was run on my WHS and it reported success.  It should have reported failure.  The clue was the fact that, when run from a system external to my LAN,  my_name.homeserver.com went to my modem/router GUI.  So, back inside my LAN, I used the GUI to change the port used for external GUI access from 443 to something else.  Now the homeserver web page is accessible from outside my LAN, and can be accessed inside my LAN by typing the WHS server name in a browser.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Friday, April 18, 2014 5:06 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:20 AM

All replies

• Ping xxx.homeserver.com and compare the response to the external IP address of your modem. If that's OK, go to www.grc.com and run ShieldsUp from a client computer to confirm that both Ports 80 & 443 are open - these should be forwarded to your server internal IP address.

• Marked as answer by Mulligan Stew Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:21 AM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 11:27 PM
  • Ping, when run from Windows systems on my network, successfully resolved the static IP address of my_name/homeserver/com.  It also resolved IPs to other xxx.homeserver.com sites. ShieldsUp reported that ports 80 and 443 are open.  This is helpful, it feels like progress.  Thank you for getting me started on the diagnosis.  What is the next step?   

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:35 AM
  • Are you trying this from within your own network when you receive the "This page cannot be displayed" error message? If so, try from an external location or by using a smart phone with wifi switched off. If that works you are fine and your router does not support loop back but the site is available externally.

If not, on your local network try typing "my_name" into a web browser - this is the xxx bit in xxx.homeserver.com. You will get Certificate warnings that you can safely ignore and you should see the login screen that you should see from the outside world. That confirms the site is set up correctly.

• Marked as answer by Mulligan Stew Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:20 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Phil, your suggestions led me to the solution.  My modem/router is a ZyXEL C1000Z.  It assigns port 443 to its management GUI for external access.  It reserves that port (and does not allow manual port forwarding of 443) even when external access is disabled. The UPnP configuration of the modem was run on my WHS and it reported success.  It should have reported failure.  The clue was the fact that, when run from a system external to my LAN,  my_name.homeserver.com went to my modem/router GUI.  So, back inside my LAN, I used the GUI to change the port used for external GUI access from 443 to something else.  Now the homeserver web page is accessible from outside my LAN, and can be accessed inside my LAN by typing the WHS server name in a browser.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Friday, April 18, 2014 5:06 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:20 AM
  • Excellent!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you have solved this issue. And thanks for sharing in the forum.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, April 18, 2014 5:09 AM