Invalid Product Key (Windows Vista Home Basic Premium ) RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Toshiba laptop with pre-installed Vista Basic Home edition. It's been working fine for the whole time but all of a sudden on start-up a window pops up saying that the Windows Vista Home Basic Premium product key I entered (I did not enter anything) was invalid and gives me three options: Buy a new product key, enter a different product key or contact Toshiba for assistance. I close the window down and it still works fine but it states in the bottom right corner of my screen that the copy of Windows is not genuine and removed my desktop pic.  I have entered the product key displayed under the laptop but no luck. How do i fix this?

Saturday, April 3, 2010 9:30 AM

Answers

• Contact Microsoft Support or Toshiba Support.
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 4:43 PM

All replies

• Contact Microsoft Support or Toshiba Support.
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 4:43 PM
  • This isn't a very good answer. whats the number for microsoft support? Microsoft has screwed more people out of their genuine keys through trying to keep it from being pirated when in fact they have genuine keys. I have not even been online after installing windows vista and the key i enter it trys to say its invalid. and i know im not typing it in wrong. whats going on?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Are you reinstalling using the cd's provided with the laptop?

the name of the thread "windows Vista Home Basic Premium" does not exist.

Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows Vista Home Basic

Those 2 do exist. Be sure you are installing the correct version that matches the product key.

you cannot install windows home premium with a windows home basic product key.

you can make sure the software and the product key match by looking on the COA (certificate of authenticity) sticker usually located on the bottom of the laptop.

it will have your product key as well as the version of windows vista it's for.

hope that helps.

Friday, June 18, 2010 7:19 PM