Vista activation problem upgrade/full install RRS feed

• Question

• A few months back I had bought the upgrade version of vista seeing I had XP. I was having problems with a virus that was constantly restarting my XP OS. I had a friend do something to it to get rid of the virus before I installed Vista over the top.  He did the installation of vista for me and everything ran great til it came time to activate it. Now it says I need to buy the full version of Vista. I purchased the upgrade already and its working great what do I do now? Do I really have to buy it again after I had a viable copy of XP? I assume something went wrong when he tried to install Vista over XP having trouble getting to the GUI. I think he installed it outside the GUI.. Any help appreciated

Sam Fedele

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:49 AM

Answers

• Hello Sam,

There are two (2) way to install Vista.

1) Upgrade Install: This is where Vista is "Added" to XP (also known as being installed "On Top" of XP). In this type of install, you usually do not loss any user files (such as personal documents, pictures..so on) or user installed program.

2) Custom Install (also known as a Full Install or a Clean Install) This is where all information on the computer's hard drive is deleted (including the old operating system, user created files and user installed programs) and then a freash install on Vista is installed.

Using an Upgrade version of Vista, you usually need to do the "Upgrade" type of install. But it sounds like your friend do a "Custom"/"Clean" type of install. That type of install is for Non-Upgrade versions of Vista and a Product Key for an Upgrade version of Vista, will not work in a Vista that was "Custom"/"Clean" installed.

I suggest reinstalling XP, then go to http://support.microsoft.com and contact Vista support and have them help you Upgrade install, correctly. 

NOTE: Install issues, for Microsoft Products, are usually supported at no-cost. And, in addition, Retail copies of Vista come with 30 days of no cost Warranty Support. (the 30 days starts when Vista was first activated and since it sounds like you have not yet activated your Vista, the 30 days has not yet started)

Hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:56 PM

All replies

• I suppose you or or friend did not upgrade properly.  If that's the case, you or your friend will now need to purchase a "Full Version" license for the Windows Vista edition now installed.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?text=full&tabid=1

Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:08 PM
  • cant I just purchase another upgrade license seeing I will be installing over this version I have? I dont understand why if I was a registered activated license XP user I wasted $100 on an upgrade vista license and now I have to spen 200 more for a full version license. I had errors getting to the xp GUI and therefore I have to pay for it because I didnt install through the gui desktop. I cant just pay the difference seeing I already have an upgrade license? Should I just return the upgrade version to the store or sell it to get my money back?

Thanks for your quick response though Smile

Sam Fedele

Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Hello Sam,

There are two (2) way to install Vista.

1) Upgrade Install: This is where Vista is "Added" to XP (also known as being installed "On Top" of XP). In this type of install, you usually do not loss any user files (such as personal documents, pictures..so on) or user installed program.

2) Custom Install (also known as a Full Install or a Clean Install) This is where all information on the computer's hard drive is deleted (including the old operating system, user created files and user installed programs) and then a freash install on Vista is installed.

Using an Upgrade version of Vista, you usually need to do the "Upgrade" type of install. But it sounds like your friend do a "Custom"/"Clean" type of install. That type of install is for Non-Upgrade versions of Vista and a Product Key for an Upgrade version of Vista, will not work in a Vista that was "Custom"/"Clean" installed.

I suggest reinstalling XP, then go to http://support.microsoft.com and contact Vista support and have them help you Upgrade install, correctly. 

NOTE: Install issues, for Microsoft Products, are usually supported at no-cost. And, in addition, Retail copies of Vista come with 30 days of no cost Warranty Support. (the 30 days starts when Vista was first activated and since it sounds like you have not yet activated your Vista, the 30 days has not yet started)

Hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:56 PM