Windows Live OneCare - Restart of PC when Backup Starts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I've recently unstalled an old version of OneCare that was working well untill the Firewall turned off & I was also unable to download updates either automatically or manually.

I followed all the instructions via the Help files and the final step was to uninstall & reinstall. Version 2 has now been installed and the original problems with the Firewall & Updates appear to have been fixed.

At the same time I upgraded my HD from the original 40Gb to a 500Gb, I have been using an external USB 500Gb drive for backup for about 9 months without any problems until the update of OneCare to the latest version.

As soon as the backup starts ie 1% into the backup, the PC restarts.

I have been talking to Onecare support and they suggested that some old Nortons products ie Password Manager would cause the problem. This was uninstalled reluctantly however it did not solve the problem.

Tec support then suggested I download Norton_Removal_Tools from Symantec, This has now been done, run, system restarted and the problem still exists.

Has anyone any suggestions of where to go from here?

Thanks

Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• If there were remnants of incompatible programs on your computer when you upgraded One Care it is possible that One Care did not install correctly. I suggest uninstalling One Care, run the cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2  then reinstall One Care. If this does not resolve the issue it would be best to continue to work with support.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 1:10 PM
  • I'm blue screening at about 1% also.  No changes in my OneCare settings. 

Did the Google thing first and found a reference to Acronos (SP?) and since I do have a new hard drive I did a through removal and then ran a registry cleaner.  Note: I had successfully backed up once since installing the new HD.

I have nothing Norton - and nothing new since the last successful backup.  (Well, automatic updates.)
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:11 PM
  • I think it would be best to continue to work with support especially since you are also having a stop error. It might be helpful if you can record the entire stop error number. To make it easier to record the stop error number you should change the recovery options - Start>My Computer, right click>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings,uncheck "Automatically Restart".

Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

Removal tools were used for Nortons that I had been sucesfully using for a number of years including the 18 months I used the earlier version of OneCare.

Removal tools were used to clean up after I removed Acronis 11 Home.

Spybot was removed.

The tool was used to "clean up" after the removal of the original OneCare. I was really happy to be told this after I had downloaded the new version. I then had to download the tool, run it and then download OneCare again.

OneCare was reloaded a total of three times.

I continued to work with OneCare support, after a number of 'phone calls & more than 1.5 hours on the 'phone I was offered the ultimate fix to stop my computer crashing.

I quote

" Action : Perform OneCare backup.

Result: Unable to perform OneCare backup

Cause: Computer crash

Resolution: Disable OneCare backup. Issue resolved"

End of Quote 

At the end of our conversation we agreed that it appeared that the best resolution was to not use OneCare for back and reinstall Acronis 11 Home to do the necessary task.

Not exactly a "happy camper" after renewing my subscription about 5 months ago at a price greater than it can be purchased new retail.

The original version was working quite well until sudden "bugs" stopped the firewall and the downloading of updates. Following the help files, all their suggestions were followed up to the point of unstalling and reinstalling OneCare.

This is when the new version was loaded, it fixed the updating and firewall problems but introduced a the backup/crashing problem.

I'm now unable to use Spybot, I no longer have a Password Manager & I have to reload Acronis to do my backups.

I guess I can't complain the suggestion will fix the problem

"Don't use the product, use another one"

Now I've vented my anger.

Thanks again for your responses.

Bob

Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:31 PM
  • Bob, I'm sorry to read that support was unable to resolve the problem. However, I do believe that using Acronis for backup is far superior to using OneCare's backup function. For your OneCare subscription you are getting protection in many other parts of the program. I find OneCare backup to be pretty minimal and only really useful if you aren't already using another backup solution. It is a lifesaver for people who use it and then encounter a problem that has the vendor replacing the drive on the PC or reinstalling the OS, as is often the "solution" when you contact the PC maker's support lines, though.

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Had the same problem.  All was running fine until LiveOneCare downloaded some security updates, well this is when problems started anyway.

I had Acronis 11.0 installed on my XP Pro and at 1% LiveOneCare Backup would reboot system.  On boot up a pop up error window would display and when I reported it, was taken to a microsoft page that stated that a driver was bad/missing or the most recent program installed caused the problem.  None of these applied.

Problem was Acronis makes many "Generic" drives and LiveOneCare had issues with this.  I worked with LiveOneCare Chat last night and they were able to get me back up.  Only problem is I had to remove Acronis.  I have the instructions on my home pc and will forward them on to you if you wish.

Now my only problem is I need to create an image of c-drive to d-drive.  Norton Ghost had problems which is why I went to Acronis and reading reviews.  I may use Acronis again but from the bootable CD I created for Acronis.  I hope this method does not create those "Generic" drives.

The instructions have to be followed exactly or you will get the "Blue Screen of Death" until you recover back to a previous working configuration.  Don't remove any more or any less than the instructions state.

Friday, October 3, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience, micbaker. In my experience, using the Acronis Boot CD will not alter anything about your installed OS since you are booting from the CD.

-steve

Monday, October 6, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I persisted using OneCare without backup for a couple of weeks.

I had uninstalled Acronis 11 and used the clean up tool but system still crashed.

I was able to reinstall the earlier version of OneCare, I still had my old HD in the cupboard, I was a little behind with some updates of a number of applications however over a couple of weeks I fixed that problem.

The old version was working fine however backup was unuseable.

After 2 weeks the firewall turned off yet again and I couldn't start it. This is where  I ran into problems weeks earlier.

I then had a brilliant idea, implemented it first thing the next day and havn't had a problem since.

I have a good virus checker, good firewall and I'm able to backup again.

I PURCHASED & INSTALLED NORTONS 360 V2 and it's been brilliant.

I had only renewed my subscription to OneCare a couple of months earlier at a cost greater than the price of the latest version in the retail shops.

Nortons has been providing everything I need without any hickups for a month or so now. with very low overheads as with earlier versions.

Very happy with my decision.

Took Microsoft's help desk advise and used another product for everything.

Goodby to OneCare

Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:33 AM
  •  Reginald56 wrote:
    I PURCHASED & INSTALLED NORTONS 360 V2 and it's been brilliant.

I'm almost there myself.  Renewal is coming up in a month and I haven't been able to do a backup since this same upgrade to OneCare.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:04 PM
  • I had this same problem, but I was able to resolve it. Here are the specifics:

1. Using an IBM Thinkpad X30
    2. Had IBM Rapid Restore PC installed and had made an image of the harddisk for recovery purposes.
    3. Installed latest version of OneCare (v2.5) and configured backup
    4. Would start the backup and at 1% it would bluescreen every time without fail

I ended up uninstalling IBM Rapid Restore PC and now things are fine. Since several people reported having this same problem with Acronis running, I suspect that it has something to do with the way these programs (Rapid Restore and Acronis) monitor the changes to the harddrive and how Onecare interfaces with the drive during a backup. Just my $0.02 worth.

I am just going to use one of the free imaging programs since all I really want is a one-time image so I don't have to reload the IBM version of XP from the hidden partition and then apply all of the XP patches, reload my software, etc.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:33 AM
  • Hello TPx30, thanks for posting your solution. I'm sure others will find it helpful.
    Jim
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:21 PM