none
TFS Rest API RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to see if it is possible to queue a build on the same VM as another build. Note, I am in the vNext system. Consider the following setup for builds A & B:

1. There are 4 agents: 2 on server 1, 2 on server 2 Any agent can pick up build A or build B .... I know how to set up the demands so only agents on those VMs can pick up this builds.

2. Build A uses the rest API to queue build B, and wait for it to complete. Right now, under current configurations, the spawned build B can be picked up by any of the 3 remaining agents on (so the free agent on the same machine as build A, or any of the agents on the other server).

3. I want to try to run build B on the same server as build A when build A launches build B. In other words, if an agent on server 1 picks up build A, I want the build B it launches to use the same server (using the other agent on the machine). Conversely, if the server 2 picks up build A, I want the build B it launches to be picked up by server 2 as well. Assuming I know things like the Agent ID, Agemt Machine Name, etc, I wanted to use the rest API in c# to simulating launching build B to try to control which machine picks it up.

4. I could configure agents so that both builds only run on 1 machine, but I am trying to avoid running too many agents on one machine. I could configure the above 4 agents to run on 1 machine, but I want to distribute the agents as much as possible. I know it is possible to specify information about agents queues etc, bot not the machine. 

I know this may seem a bit unusual ... but I am dealing with a scenario where I want to share information between the builds that will be simplified if they run on the same machine. If build B is launched by itself, it doesn't matter what machine picks it up.

Is it possible to do this?

Monday, May 7, 2018 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi BryanJohnson2,

This forum discuss and ask questions about extending and integrating with Visual Studio, since your issue is more related to TFS, I would suggest that you could post your issue on stackoverflow with tag TFS for suitable support.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/tfs

Best regards,

Zhanglong

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:25 AM