copy must be activated before logon, Beeps, click yes/no, then immediately back to logon prompt RRS feed

• Question

• When running in normal mode

copy must be activated before logon, Beeps, click yes/no, then immediately back to logon prompt

Able to get into safe mode but won't let me login and also gives me

Explorer.exe application error    Failed to intialize properly (0xc0000022)

Able to get into safe mode with networking and see files etc

Tryed

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

but when i enter the command it gives me RUNDLL error

Error loading syssetup 

Acess is denied

Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:12 AM

Answers

• Thanks to,

thisisu from http://forums.majorgeeks.com

First, download a new copy of ComboFix and save it to your USB flash drive.
    Second, download subinacl.msi and create reset.cmd by reading this : http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=169862

Put  

Once you're in Safe mode with command prompt, I want you to type out these commands:

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

net start msiserver

cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Travis\desktop"

subinacl.msi

Allow this program to install

Now type in:

reset.cmd

Let me know if this starts running or not, you should see a DOS window with text flying through it.

Once it's finished, the cmd window will close.

Now reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

• Marked as answer by Timmytheman20 Monday, September 26, 2011 2:32 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:32 AM

All replies

• "Timmytheman20" wrote in message news:941ee11e-4c20-496e-a57e-38d0d1d45071...

When running in normal mode

copy must be activated before logon, Beeps, click yes/no, then immediately back to logon prompt

Able to get into safe mode but won't let me login and also gives me

Able to get into safe mode with networking and see files etc

Tryed

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

but when i enter the command it gives me RUNDLL error

Error loading syssetup

Acess is denied

Please check the version number of the C:\Windows\system32\syssetup.dll file, and a full MGADiag report.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
    - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:37 AM
  • File Version 5.1.2600.5512

Unable to run your program under Safe mode and Safe Mode with command prompt

All gives me errors when trying to run your program -

Safe mode with networking -- Won't work either

Copy of windows must be activated with ms before you can continue

Normal boot gives me Classic login screen  and enter username/password then

Tried using Windows key + U to get bypass it to get command promt open or something but gives me

Narrator could not find a compatible speech component or there was an error loading the component

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:28 PM
  • "Timmytheman20" wrote in message news:27c776b6-a53f-46fd-8931-de533107e8e8...

File Version 5.1.2600.5512

Unable to run your program under Safe mode and Safe Mode with command prompt

All gives me errors when trying to run your program -

Safe mode with networking -- Won't work either

Copy of windows must be activated with ms before you can continue

Normal boot gives me Classic login screen  and enter username/password then

Tried using Windows key + U to get bypass it to get command promt open or something but gives me

Narrator could not find a compatible speech component or there was an error loading the component

This sounds very much like a heavy malware infection, or a failing drive.
    Boot to Safe Mode – instead of attempting to log in, try using System Restore to get back to a time when the system worked.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:40 PM
  • We tried several steps but trying to find more help

See My Post:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=244653&page=2

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:48 PM
  • "Timmytheman20" wrote in message news:56b197fa-5980-4439-a105-bcfb668edc40...

We tried several steps but trying to find more help

See My Post:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=244653&page=2

Good – continue there until any malware is rooted out, then if you are still having non-genuine issues, come back here, and we’ll try again

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Thats the problem we were at the part were there shouldn't of have any malware and still need to get windows activated to finish to make sure its all gone
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:07 PM
  • "Timmytheman20" wrote in message news:3c803f07-f9a6-4d13-8369-2f2c1d772bac...
    Thats the problem we were at the part were there shouldn't of have any malware and still need to get windows activated to finish to make sure its all gone

There’s obviously still something very much amiss if the system won’t allow simple programs in Safe Mode.
    I’m tempted to suggest a second opinion from the forums at bleepingcomputer.com or aumha.net  - but it’s your call.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:48 PM
  • The posted the issue at bleepingcomputer.com on 9/21/11 and didn't get any replys for my posts!!  posted twice with 2 diff user names - to see if they reply to 2th user-- no reply

waited until 9/23/11 to post at this other fourm and the person is very helpful but we need to get windows activated

By the time i posted i was unable to login but used telephone options

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic420217.html/page__p__2418122#entry2418122

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic419904.html/page__p__2415582#entry2415582

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:57 PM
  • This Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum does not offer troubleshooting suggestions if you originally post in a different forum.  You have to begin your inquiry (and subsequent reponses) in this forum.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:35 PM
  • "Timmytheman20" wrote in message news:8c4abe2d-3cfc-479b-9994-1b37ffdbda5a...

The posted the issue at bleepingcomputer.com on 9/21/11 and didn't get any replys for my posts!!  posted twice with 2 diff user names - to see if they reply to 2th user-- no reply

waited until 9/23/11 to post at this other fourm and the person is very helpful but we need to get windows activated

By the time i posted i was unable to login but used telephone options

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic420217.html/page__p__2418122#entry2418122

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic419904.html/page__p__2415582#entry2415582

My knowledge of current forum malware-removal practice is very limited – but Bleeping Computer do seem to have dropped the ball on this one, possibly because of the length of the installed programs list (assuming I’m reading it right). From what I can see in the reports you’ve posted there, there’s not a lot wrong that I can see.
    What Anti-Virus programs have EVER been installed on this machine since the last reformat?
    What Anti-Malware solutions have EVER been installed since the last reformat?
    Have you ever used a Registry Cleaner of any kind (CCleaner, WiseFixer, Registry Mechanic, etc., etc. ) in this install?

Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Avast,MSE

Malwarebypes, SpyBot ,Superantispyware and Adware

Ccleaner only

Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:52 PM
  • When you uninstalled Avast, did you also use Avast's cleanup tool to remove the residual registry entries, etc. ?

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility 

Did you save teh registry undo files drom any modifications that CCleaner's registry cleaner did? - it would probably be a good idea to revert ALL such changes - at least since the recent problems began.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Make up your own rules if you like, Carey - but don't expect anyone else to follow them.

There is nothing in the WGA forum guidelines about this, AFAIK.

Having said that, it is always best to stick with one forum until they have either fixed a problem or admitted defeat, so that conflicting advice doesn't undo whatever good work is being done.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Yes i do know that but like i said trying to expand the brain power on this issue since the main issue is windows activation and explorer.exe won't run right now

Also since its seems to be in a loop for activation

i did use that uninstall and issues started way after using ccleaner for reg items

Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:31 PM
  • The only way you'll be able to safely and securely fix your problem is to backup your important personal files and then perform a "clean install" of Windows XP.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:29 PM
  • The only way you'll be able to safely and securely fix your problem is to backup your important personal files and then perform a "clean install" of Windows XP.
    Carey Frisch

Carey,  I must say if thats your only options for this case, if i was your manager, you be out of a job

As a Cusomer support rep for APHIS USDA-CVB-- Telling your customer the only option is to lose all your programs  and backup over 300 GB of data is the wrong move to tell anyone

Reset Reg and file perrissions

Working now and activated

Noal,

Ty for you assistance with this issue

Monday, September 26, 2011 12:56 AM
  • "Timmytheman20" wrote in message news:27abfd8f-00f5-4543-920d-12caad1194e3...

Reset Reg and file perrissions

Working now and activated

Noal,

Ty for you assistance with this issue

You’re welcome – care to share your exact method, so that we can use it to help others?

Monday, September 26, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Thanks to,

thisisu from http://forums.majorgeeks.com

First, download a new copy of ComboFix and save it to your USB flash drive.
    Second, download subinacl.msi and create reset.cmd by reading this : http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=169862

Put  

Once you're in Safe mode with command prompt, I want you to type out these commands:

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

net start msiserver

cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Travis\desktop"

subinacl.msi

Allow this program to install

Now type in:

reset.cmd

Let me know if this starts running or not, you should see a DOS window with text flying through it.

Once it's finished, the cmd window will close.

Now reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

• Marked as answer by Timmytheman20 Monday, September 26, 2011 2:32 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Unfortunately, I have seen and heard of several instances of malware infected computers bring down an entire network because the malware was never completely removed from a single computer. (i.e. rootkit).  In fact, it is the policy of many astute, security-minded companies to flatten the drive and reinstall the operating system if there is any remote possibility of malware infection. However, its your call, your liability, your reputation.... I just offered a prudent suggestion.

You really should review: Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

Carey Frisch
    Monday, September 26, 2011 3:39 AM