WHS 2011 - Add/Remove files/folders will BREAK the Internet Media Streaming. Only get Media Library Error. RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed the NEW WHS 2011 without any issues.

Lot's of changes from the Vail beta I tested and a lot simplier to configure  I'm new to WHS so I can't make any judgements what's better or worst.

The BUG:

I've changed the Video folder to a 1TB drive that I added after install.  I added my video library and streaming worked very well.  I removed 3 folders by double clicking the Videos folder located under Server Folders which can be accessed by the Dashboard. I can no longer access the Video library over the internet.  I now get a 'Media Library Error' box.

I've rebuilt the server twice and tried both time to add/remove files and it broke the Media Library both times.  I can't seam to find any forum on HOW TO fix this issue so I though to post it here.

Web Mystic
    • Moved by brubberModerator Monday, February 14, 2011 3:02 PM WHS 2011 (Vail) question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Monday, February 14, 2011 12:51 PM

Answers

• I'm ashamed to say I can't find the connector software 'launchpad'... When I first tested Vail, I downloaded a PC and MAC copy, however I can not find it....  A little help :)

========

Web Mystic, open Internet Explorer and type in http://homeserver/connect, where homeserver is the name you gave WHS when you installed it. Follow the yellow brick road from there. The LaunchPad will be automatically installed with the connector.

Nancy Ward
    • Marked as answer by WebMystic Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:28 AM

All replies

• Could be your Media Library needs updating. I would expect this to be automatic, so if the issue is not fixed in a short time I suggest you file a bug report on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site. Make sure to add sufficient detail for reproducing the issue.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Monday, February 14, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I stream to my PS3 and have added/removed folders and videos many different times.  I use the \\servername shortcut that it makes on your desktop.  I doubt you should be in looking at your drive letters and then going to serverfolders\videos at all. Only use the network shares..

Try simply using the shortcut whs 2011 makes on your desktop. Or make one.

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:13 PM
  • I've installed WHS 2011 twice and it's doesn't place a shortcut on the server.  I will re-install and managed folders from a windows 7 client.
    Web Mystic
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:25 PM
  • when you connect to the server and install the connector software on a client, it used to put a shared folder on your desktop...  Create one yourself or use the shared folders link on the launchpad.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Hello Enchanter,

I'm ashamed to say I can't find the connector software 'launchpad'...  When I first tested Vail, I downloaded a PC and MAC copy, however I can not find it....  A little help :)

Web Mystic
    Monday, February 14, 2011 11:42 PM
  • I'm ashamed to say I can't find the connector software 'launchpad'... When I first tested Vail, I downloaded a PC and MAC copy, however I can not find it....  A little help :)

========

Web Mystic, open Internet Explorer and type in http://homeserver/connect, where homeserver is the name you gave WHS when you installed it. Follow the yellow brick road from there. The LaunchPad will be automatically installed with the connector.

Nancy Ward
    • Marked as answer by WebMystic Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Thanks Nancy,

I didn't fully read the documentation this time around, but I think I will do so today when I get the chance.

vic

Web Mystic
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:19 AM
  • I've installed the NEW WHS 2011 without any issues.

Lot's of changes from the Vail beta I tested and a lot simplier to configure I'm new to WHS so I can't make any judgements what's better or worst.

The BUG:

I've changed the Video folder to a 1TB drive that I added after install. I added my video library and streaming worked very well. I removed 3 folders by double clicking the Videos folder located under Server Folders which can be accessed by the Dashboard. I can no longer access the Video library over the internet. I now get a 'Media Library Error' box.

I've rebuilt the server twice and tried both time to add/remove files and it broke the Media Library both times. I can't seam to find any forum on HOW TO fix this issue so I though to post it here.

Web Mystic

You can give a more complete description of your needs, It will be better for answering your question.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:45 AM