Obtaining SQL Server Certification RRS feed

• Question

• I know very little about SQL or SQL Server. However, I want to pursue some work in this field. After reading some introductory books on SQL, which certification would you recommend pursuing as an base level certification for this product? Thanks for your time - I need all of the help I can get!

Monday, July 19, 2010 6:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I would recommend the MCITP: Database Administrator 2008 or Database
    Developer 2008,

-- Mike Burr
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Besides MCITP DBA and Dev, there is also a MCITP for BI, so 3 tracks in total.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/3/7/6370c653-e270-4e23-9685-15043f63dcce/SQLServer2008_CertPath_Complete.pdf

Myself I am a MCITP in SQL BI since I am a BI/DW developer.

There are 2 exams for each track, I would recommend MCITP Self-Paced Training Kits from MS Press.

The link below is also useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fffaad6a-0153-4d41-b289-a3ed1d637c0d&displaylang=en

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Michael Mei
    Monday, July 19, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Thank you both very much! That really helps.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 9:18 PM
  • A couple of more questions. After some study and work, I've decided to go after the BI Development and Maintenance (Exam 70-448). I ordered the self-paced training kit. Can any recommend any additional prep materials which may be helpful? I would prefer cheap (or free) materials if possible! Also, do people generally find the self-paced Microsoft kit to be enough?

Thanks again!

Monday, August 2, 2010 7:50 PM
  • I also used self-paced training kit 448 to prepare for the exam.  It will be sufficient enough if you have some sort of hands-on experience.  If you are not currently in the field then I would suggest you go through those exercises at least couple times.

70-448's questions are more specific than 70-452, so getting to know the tools well is important.

Also the book's practice questions are fine.  I also used Self-Test practice to prepare, it's provided by MS so I did not pay for it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Michael Mei
    Monday, August 2, 2010 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

It depends on what area of SQL Server you would like to work in – administration or development.  But as a starter you can look into becoming MCITP Database Administrator 2008 as recommended by folks in the thread.

Once you are done with that, and depending on your knowledge of T-SQL Queries, then you can preparing for the MCITP Database Developer 2008. 

If you need to brush up your knowledge of T-SQL queries, then you can take a Microsoft course called - Writing Queries Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Transact-SQL .  The course is designed for SQL Server database administrators, implementers, system engineers, and developers who are responsible for writing queries. It will provide students with the technical skills required to write basic Transact-SQL queries for Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

If you are located in Europe, then you can speak to us as we provide various sql server certification courses that may be of interest to you.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Jay

Work for Firebrand Training, provider of classroom based Microsoft training courses in Europe. Firebrand Training is a Microsoft Gold Partner in Learning Solutions.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:43 PM