Surface Pro Backup Failure RRS feed

• Question

• i have been trying to get my Surface Pro to backup up to WHS 2011 but each tome it fails @ 1%.  I have tried just the C partition but still fails.  I have been searching for a solution but have not found an answer that has worked.  Does anyone have any information that might help?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:08 PM

Answers

• More than likely the surface p uses a GTP partition.  So it will not work with 2011.

But if you spend 425.00 more you can get Server 2012 and that supports it :(

WHS2011 GTP support

• Edited by jefflafleur Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, February 25, 2013 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Does anyone have any information that might help?

As jefflafleur mentions, WHS 2011 cannot backup systems with UEFI/GPT boot disks (yet).

However, there are two alternative ways you can backup data on your Surface Pro to your server:  1) Use Windows 8's new File History feature to automatically keep snapshots of your built-in or custom Windows Libraries (think Apple Time Machine), or 2) use the legacy Windows Backup feature to make full disk image and incremental data backups to your server. (I enable File History on all of my Windows 8 clients anyway, with WHS client backups for redundancy.)

File History is like Windows "Previous Versions" feature in earlier products, but much easier to discover and use.  It is also meant to work in conjunction with Windows 8's new "PC Refresh" feature, which provides ways to "reset" your PC to a "clean" or factory fresh state. You can use this, or Windows Backup in Windows 8, but not both at the same time.  Using either feature, you can select a server share as your target disk for backups if you like, or use any external drive.

• Edited by Gary Voth Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:05 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:03 AM

All replies

• More than likely the surface p uses a GTP partition.  So it will not work with 2011.

But if you spend 425.00 more you can get Server 2012 and that supports it :(

WHS2011 GTP support

• Edited by jefflafleur Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Does anyone have any information that might help?

As jefflafleur mentions, WHS 2011 cannot backup systems with UEFI/GPT boot disks (yet).

However, there are two alternative ways you can backup data on your Surface Pro to your server:  1) Use Windows 8's new File History feature to automatically keep snapshots of your built-in or custom Windows Libraries (think Apple Time Machine), or 2) use the legacy Windows Backup feature to make full disk image and incremental data backups to your server. (I enable File History on all of my Windows 8 clients anyway, with WHS client backups for redundancy.)

File History is like Windows "Previous Versions" feature in earlier products, but much easier to discover and use.  It is also meant to work in conjunction with Windows 8's new "PC Refresh" feature, which provides ways to "reset" your PC to a "clean" or factory fresh state. You can use this, or Windows Backup in Windows 8, but not both at the same time.  Using either feature, you can select a server share as your target disk for backups if you like, or use any external drive.

• Edited by Gary Voth Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:05 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:03 AM
  • Hi drummer1,

I think you're on answers.microsoft.com too?

In any case, UEFI is supported on WHS 2011 per this hotfix. The procedure to get backups working on the Surface Pro is long but doable and I have posted a writeup of it here.

Let me know how it goes!

• Edited by DAOV Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:20 PM
  • The issue is MS shipped the surface with the boot partition too small for the data that's in it.   The VSS snapshot is failing when the WHS backup is running.     MS failed to follow the OEM guidelines for the initial partitions of a system and only set aside 600 MG for the patition with only about 100 MB free... Windows 8 requires 300 MB to be free on this partition.     DA0V provided the solution to this problem in a post in this thread.  Unfortunately it requires you to backup (and fix the initial partitioning file) in your Surface image and reimage the surface so that you can create the partitions the right size so the system can back up.   
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:21 PM